BLT - Kettle Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Good morning fellow Q'ers. I was kinda jealous after seeing civilsmoker civilsmoker Beef rib post. Not because of the ribs (Although they looked great), but because of the fresh tomatoes. We don't have a garden, but our neighbors do, and their tomatoes haven't ripened yet. Since I was out and about running errands yesterday morning. I decided to stop by a local farmers market and see what they had to offer. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. There to my delight was a whole $hit-ton of fresh tomatoes. I only bought a few to see how they tasted, and today I will be heading back to get some more. Enough about that. Let's get on with this post.

Keep in mind you probably won't see to many BLTs constructed in quite the same way as this one, but what's wrong with an easily eaten LOADED BLT.

Naturally the beer pole stands ready and willing:
DSC04147.JPG

Next make a weave out of the bacon: They must be cutting the bacon shorter, as I had four extra pieces in this 1lb pack.
DSC04143.JPG

Fire up the 22" kettle with one charcoal basket and start the cooking process:

DSC04148.JPG

After a few minutes I add the four additional slices: Cooks treats
DSC04151.JPG

Give the bacon a flip:
DSC04153.JPG

Add some cheddar cheese to my half:
DSC04155.JPG

...and they're done:
DSC04156.JPG

Sliced up with the pizza cutter:
DSC04163.JPG

Now onto the construction of the sandwich: Lightly toasted Canadian white bread with some mayo
DSC04165.JPG

Two squares of cheddar bacon: Almost a half-a-pound of bacon on that sammie:
DSC04169.JPG

Lettuce and tomato:
DSC04172.JPG

Sliced corner to corner:
DSC04174.JPG

And an ear of Vt. Sweet corn to round it off:
DSC04175.JPG

Thanks for taking the time to look.

Chris

Awesome way to cook bacon. Points for keeping the weave together during the process.

Reactions: gmc2003
Nice Work Chris and a new way to use the kettle. Like DougE DougE said I can't believe you kept the weave together taking it off. I am not much of a BLT person but I would take a couple of those as a BL skip the T...lol

Ok Chris, I have to admit that's about the coolest BLT I've ever seen. Very creative and unique but still traditional and keeping to it's roots. I'm really liking this concept and LOVE the melted cheddar. I always put cheddar on mine but melting it like that is a whole 'nother story!!

Robert

Nice work there Chris, I'd be all over that sanny! You are a master of the bacon weave, I slice mine a little too short for weaving. RAY

Chris,
That is quite the interesting concept for a BLT at least on bacon weave part. I love it.
Nice work.

Extra points for sure.

Stu

Awesome way to cook bacon. Points for keeping the weave together during the process.
Thanks Doug. Getting a tight weave helps the process.

Nice Work Chris and a new way to use the kettle. Like DougE DougE said I can't believe you kept the weave together taking it off. I am not much of a BLT person but I would take a couple of those as a BL skip the T...lol
Appreciate it Cliff. This time of year we'll eat fresh tomatoes like apples. Getting the weave on the grill is much harder then taking it off. Once cooked the bacon sort of melds together.

Chris

Ok Chris, I have to admit that's about the coolest BLT I've ever seen. Very creative and unique but still traditional and keeping to it's roots. I'm really liking this concept and LOVE the melted cheddar. I always put cheddar on mine but melting it like that is a whole 'nother story!!

Robert
Thanks Robert, I knew I could do the weave part easily, and I thought this would be the best way to maximize the amount of bacon you could put on the sammy without having the sammy fall apart while eating. I could have put the whole pound of bacon on that sammy w/o issues. Melted cheese is so much better on a sammy then not melted.
Nice work there Chris, I'd be all over that sanny! You are a master of the bacon weave, I slice mine a little too short for weaving. RAY
Appreciate it Ray. This is store bought bacon. I haven't made any bacon this year. Even so my slicer wouldn't allow me to cut strips long enough either.

Chris

Chris, that's a great way to make my favorite sandwich!! Really great idea and of course fresh tomatoes make it even better...

Chris,
That is quite the interesting concept for a BLT at least on bacon weave part. I love it.
Nice work.

Extra points for sure.

Stu
Thanks Stu, I'm always trying to think of new ways to incorporate the weave.
Man that is a BLT after my heart. I'll two please!
Jim
Appreciate it Jim, I'll have to build another weave. This one disappeared quickly.

Chris

Reactions: SecondHandSmoker
Chris, that's a great way to make my favorite sandwich!! Really great idea and of course fresh tomatoes make it even better...
Thanks Charles, It's amazing what fresh tomatoes can do to a sammy.

Chris

Wow. The BLT is my second favorite sammich behind the rueben, but that looks killer. Strong work!

Holy smoked bacon Batman that is a BLT samich! Very nicely done and I’m glad I could help inspire it a little bit!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky