Blowing smoke, but not around the smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
So another year of not drawing tags. Doesn't mean we can't shoot!

Been out putting some rounds through the muzzle loader. Its a 50cal. Hawkins. My dad built the gun from a kit when I was 5. Things accurate as all get out. Here in Oregon we can't use scopes during muzzle loader season. We can't use plastic (sabot) or composite bullets. Gun can't be inline ignition, has to be open ignition cap or flint lock. Typically load around a 90-100 grains of powder with a maxi-ball pre-lubed slug when hunting. For plinking we have been been loading 80 grains and patched round balls. Last few weekends we've shot 50 rounds or so through the Hawkins, and another thousand or two rounds out of our other guns. Good times pushing smoke around the woods!

Then I had a Hare brain Idea the other day. Decided I needed a new pistol. A black powder pistol. So This arrived today. Probably didn't need it, but I got it!

CVA 50cal. black powder pistol. I won't be able to hunt with here in Oregon but it will be fun to shoot!

Hey Case.  Black powder shooting is a real blast, isn't it.  Over the years I'v owned a 54 cal Thompson Center, a 50 cal Browning Mountain Rifle,  36 and 44 cal revolvers, and a 50 cal single shot pistol--all cap and ball.  Just loved shooting them.

Gary

Hey Case.  Black powder shooting is a real blast, isn't it.  Over the years I'v owned a 54 cal Thompson Center, a 50 cal Browning Mountain Rifle,  36 and 44 cal revolvers, and a 50 cal single shot pistol--all cap and ball.  Just loved shooting them.

Gary

Yep it's my favorite way to hunt. I rarely put in for centerfire hunts, which is why I don't draw tags often. The hunts I put in for have 20-40 tags. I can use my muzzleloader during general season, but I don't prefer to walk around the woods with thousands of guns doing the same thing.

I'm really looking forward to trying out this pistol. It's going to have to wait a few weeks though. Taking She who puts up with me on a mini vacation. Might make up for the gun purchase!

Thanks Justin! I think we all need a double smoked gathering somewhere in between. Maybe Idaho. Wall tents, black powder and smokers. That would be fun!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky