Blood Sausage

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoking falcon

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Ohio
If you've ever had the real thing you know how good it is, but I'm wondering... Has anyone on here ever tried to make it?

When I was 16 I lived in France as an exchange student, and now that I'm getting into the whole smoking thing I remember those glorious blood red sausages that I was admittedly scared to try.

I tried to search on dogpile, but couldn't manage to find any real recipes, just descriptions and recipes that didn't use blood at all. Help!

Dennis

I can check my pile of books once I get home and see if there are any recipes there.

Is there any thing that you remember about it that will help me figure out what recipes to send you?

I'm pretty sure that the sausages were made out of pigs blood. There were other spices in it like onion garlic and so on, but I'm not really sure what else might be of help. The only other thing I can think of is that they were sold in markets uncooked. (I'm only half certain abou this because it was so long ago) It could have been that they were precooked and then sold to be rewarmed or something. Let me know if you need any more specifics, if you ask a specific question it might spark a memory

Blood Sausage

1 med onion
2 tsp instacure #1
2 Tb ground black pepper
1 tsp. ground marjoram
1 tsp. thyme
1 Tb. mace
1 tsp. ground cloves
5 Tb. salt
4 lb pork snouts
4 lbs pork tounges
1 lb pork skin
1 pint beef blood

Place all pork tounges and snouts into a kettle and cook for 2 hours.Let cool,then grind through a 3/4 grinder plate.Pork skins should be ground through a 3/16 plate.
Place all meats and ingredients into a mixing tub and mix well.Stuff into natural casings then place into 195-200 deg water[not boiling]Cook 3 1/2 hours.Use a skewer to see if the sausage is done.Remove to a container holding ice water,cooling enough that the sausage can be handeled.Remove to a 36-38 deg cooler overnight.

This is a recipe from The Sausage Maker.I dont know about those snouts,toungs and skin.I think I would try some pork,maybe pork butts ground up.Ive never eaten Blood Sausage but Ill try most anything once.Hopes this helps,David

Pig snouts and tongues! You mean that is what was so good? :cry:
wink.gif
:roll: The first night that my hosts took me to a swanky restauraun they tried to get me to eat pig brains, I pretty much refused and ordered the blood sausage instead. On other occasions I was fed (at least offered) various other parts of the pig including it's knees, and intestine (or something to that effect). it makes me wonder what else I got tricked into eating... makes you go hmmmm.... :o

Ah the versatile hog! When I was going through basic training at Fort Jackson, So. Carolina back in '75 I was intoduced to chitlins and hog maw. Still every now and again I get cravings for pickled pigs feet.

dacdots this recipe looks alot like the recipe I was going to share.

It appears that Rytek Kutas had a couple of recipes in his book.

I decided way back then that blood sausage just did not sound good then with the snouts etc I think I will sit this one out

I grew up eating pigs feet and blood puddin/sausages. Nothin wrong with that at all!!
I know in the old country they cook the blood in huge vats and add other things to it of course thats all I know about them other than I like em.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky