Blonde question for the day~

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bbqgoddess

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
May 13, 2008
TEMPLE CITY, SO CALIFORNIA
How much lump should I plan on to smoke my brisket? I am using the Smokeyokie sear method. My butt last weekend took almost 20 lbs of lump charcoal. This was maintaining my baby at 200* (except that 4am opps I missed the alarm going off, then I was at 117*) Is that about right or am i using just to much and should maintain the heat using air flow???
Also, what does one do about the ashes that build up underneath the lump charcoal?
Sorry that would be two blonde questions for the day!
Thanks,
WINGS ON SAT FOR SURE! At least this game should be on the tellie out here! damn So Cal!

One post would have been sufficient, B BBQ G ;{)

You should have 10 lbs on hand I'd estimate. But why not 20?

And get a charcoal basket..gets the coals up off the bottom and allows ash to fall away. You can then remove the basket if required to clean out the firbox. Otherwise...slide a thin hunk of something under the grate and scrape some out if required for airflow.

Gooo WINGS!

Two posts ~ did I say I was blonde??

10 lbs then I must be using too much at one time.
Charcoal basket? (refer to first line)

Might want to up those temps also. 200 is a bit on the low side. Just might turn that brisket into jerky if you aren't careful.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky