Blackened Strip Loin Roast On The Rotisserie (Heavy Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Long story behind me finally going ahead and ordering a case of strip loin roasts from Joe at CPB. I spent quite a while looking for a good product at a decent price to cut NY Strip steaks from without having to buy 50 pounds. Tried an online source I read about here and it was horrid. Worst cut of meat I've ever had. Then got a USDA Prime strip roast from Costco. Much better but still not up to what we're used to. Ate the last of those steaks a few weeks ago and Tracy said to get the ones from CPB, despite the quantity. Didn't have to tell me twice!! Placed the order and a few days later lo and behold, there were 4 gorgeous roasts sitting on my door step totaling 53 pounds. Cut up a bunch of steaks and kept a few as smaller roasts. This is one of those. After months of huge yard projects we decided to take a weekend off, invite a few friends, and put on a nice dinner.

Started Tuesday to dry brine the roast for 4 days with kosher salt. Roast is 4 1/2 pounds
View attachment 510558

Friday I made a batch of sour cream and onion rolls. These are always a huge hit and I just warm them up in the microwave prior to serving dinner
View attachment 510559

Time to start welcoming our guests. A recent craft project by Tracy
View attachment 510560

The meat after 4 days in the fridge. I love the color of this thing
View attachment 510561

Onto the spit and seasoned with Nat The Cat's dirt rub
View attachment 510562

Got some loaded twice-baked potatoes ready
View attachment 510563

Here's where things get fun. A huge pan full of baby Portabellas in a mushroom based cream sauce. In the pan with lots of butter. These were fantastic so gonna do some detail here
View attachment 510564

Melt the butter and add some minced onion
View attachment 510565

Dust with AP flour to create the roux
View attachment 510566

Stir in the flour and add heavy cream and some vegetable broth
View attachment 510567

Black pepper and Better Than Bouillon mushroom base. I just made this up on the fly and didn't measure anything.
View attachment 510568

Time to get the roast going. Doing this on the Weber using the SnS but indirect heat
View attachment 510569

Mushrooms done but gonna cover let them sit for a while to really pick up the flavor of the cream sauce
View attachment 510570

Here we are about an hour in. IT already at 100 so cooking faster than I anticipated
View attachment 510573

Taters on the grill
View attachment 510571

Roast all done and into the house to get happy
View attachment 510572

Sliced. Finally nailed that beautiful edge to edge pink that has eluded me for so long
View attachment 510574

The whole spread. Meat, taters, rolls, mushrooms, some jus from the roast, and a nice salad that Rick and Susan brought
View attachment 510575

My plate finally and alas. Shadows on the patio make it hard to get a good pic but it was a nice plate.
View attachment 510576

And some goodies that Jodi made and brought as a dessert offering
View attachment 510577

All in all I'd say this dinner was a success. The strip loin roasts from CPB are nothing short of incredible. Far and again the best beef we have ever had. As tender as the best tenderloin I've eaten but a much deeper, richer beef flavor. My target temp for the grill was 275 but apparently the rotisserie setup allows for a good deal of air intake. I had the bottom vent closed all the way and the top vent just barely opened and the lowest I could get was 315 degrees. The roast cooked in an hour and a half and was pulled at an IT of 128. Wrapped it real heavy with foil and placed it in the grill to keep warm till time to serve. Most times there's something with a meal like this that just doesn't meet expectations but not hi time. There's nothing about this one I'd change. As amazing as the meat was, I think the mushrooms stole the show. Those were a chart topper.

Well, this one has gone on long enough. If you made it all the way through, thank you for the patience :emoji_laughing: Gonna call this one a wrap and we'll see everybody on the next installment of "Robert's Tales From The Crypt". Stay safe and be well.

Robert
Wow that really was a long story. Nice pics!

Dang Robert, you are on one heck of a roll, inspiration? Your cooks are always excellent, this one is no exception. Very well planned and executed. Gongrats on the carousel. Very much deserved.

All's I can say is MERCY lol Cant imagine it getting much better ,

Wow that’s a great looking spread Robert! I’m sure everyone was stuffed. I really like what you did with the mushrooms, they sound delicious. We love mushrooms around here, my wife would eat those like a soup.

Between the “Welcome” sign and the smell of a spinning roast, I’d have no problem finding your place.

Darn good looking meal. tx smoker tx smoker gonna wake up one more and half the forum is gonna be floating in the pool waiting for dinner. I think i could eat those 'shrooms right outta the pot.
Jim

Can I ask what is CPB meats? I googled it but nothing really jumped out

I have several replies to catch up on but I'll answer this one real quick. It's Certified Piedmontese Beef. Very special breed that originated in the Piedmont region of northern Italy.

Robert

Fair enough. I'll bring a bottle of top shelf Texas distilled bourbon.

What Distillery you been drinking. I was saving a bottle of some Ironroot for you but ended up having to crack it but they have one of my favorites out now. Been really hard getting anything from them latety. Been winning major awards and now everyone wants it.

Robert you killed it as usual!! That steak is done just right and you know I love the Dirt on beef. That sauce is money too. I have got to add rotisserie to my tools!!

Thanks so much Jeff!! I kept a pretty close eye on the roast but it still got done way faster than anticipated. Still though, it came out well. I'm fixing to put together my own dirt rub and see what I can come up with.

Perfect !!!
You did indeed Nail This One, Robert !!
I never saw a better one!!
You must have been able to keep your temp below 230° or 250° the whole time.
I love it, and your Whole spread is Just Awesome, as always!!
Nice Job, Buddy!!

Very much appreciated my friend. Honestly, the first time I saw a PR that you did, I about fell out of my chair. It was gorgeous and I wanted to grow up and learn how to do that. Thank you for the inspiration.

Looks amazing as usual Robert! I love what you did with the shrooms.

Thank you Jake. The 'shrooms were extremely good. Folks ate up the last of the rolls sopping them in the sauce. I was way ahead though. Did that all through the meal :emoji_wink:

Robert

Wow that really was a long story. Nice pics!

I did warn you that there were a lot of pics but thank you for the kind words. I tried to keep the dialog to a minimum but felt I needed to cover the bases.

Your cooks are always excellent, this one is no exception. Very well planned and executed. Gongrats on the carousel. Very much deserved.

Thank you sir. I thought the meal and the presentation were fairly well done. Was thrilled to log into the forum and see it up there. With all the great stuff being posted it's quite an honor.

All's I can say is MERCY lol Cant imagine it getting much better

Appreciate it Mike. As far as the meat goes, I might have to agree. Just don't know if it's gonna get any better than what we enjoyed with this meal.

Robert

Reactions: Bearcarver
I really like what you did with the mushrooms, they sound delicious. We love mushrooms around here, my wife would eat those like a soup.

Between the “Welcome” sign and the smell of a spinning roast, I’d have no problem finding your place.

The mushrooms were fantastic and very easy to make. Not a lot of ingredients but they sure brought the flavor. I could easily see them being eaten by themselves as a soup. Insofar as the "welcome" sign, you'll have to already found us because it's inside. You can however follow the smoke signals and we aren't hard to find.

half the forum is gonna be floating in the pool waiting for dinner.

Don't know that the pool would handle 67,000 people but we can try. I just need a day or two notice to make sure I have enough beer on hand for a crowd that size :emoji_laughing:

That is one good looking meal Robert!

Thanks so much Al. I truly appreciate it sir.

Robert

• Haha
Reactions: JLeonard
I'm late to the party Robert. This is one awesome meal! WOW! You've outdone yourself, and I never thought that was possible, lol. Everything looks perfectly cooked and I can almost taste it. The 'shrooms look incredible, but I can't look away from those Twice Bake Taters. Finally, the desserts from your friend look delicious, I'd have no problem finding room for them. Great work all around. Thanks for the great story and pics.

Extremely nice, Robert. I can almost taste that from here...

Thank you!! If you find the taste lacking from afar you're more than welcome to drop in. Got lots of that CPB in the freezer :emoji_wink:

What Distillery you been drinking

Garrison Brothers is an outstanding bourbon. About the best bourbon I have ever had though was the 12 y.o Rebecca Creek. Man oh man that stuff is good!! Our friend Ray ( sawhorseray sawhorseray ) was the recipient of a bottle and he can vouch for it.

Robert

I'm late to the party Robert. This is one awesome meal! WOW! You've outdone yourself, and I never thought that was possible, lol. Everything looks perfectly cooked and I can almost taste it. The 'shrooms look incredible, but I can't look away from those Twice Bake Taters. Finally, the desserts from your friend look delicious, I'd have no problem finding room for them. Great work all around. Thanks for the great story and pics.

Wow...that's some pretty high praise Mike. Cannot tell you how much I appreciate the kind words sir. Really and truly, it was not an overly difficult meal. Not a whole bunch of offerings so it was easier to focus on the few we did have.

Robert

Reactions: MJB05615
Nice! Shopped whole strip loins at Sam's $8.98/lb Choice, $15.98/lb Prime, then Costco $9.19/lb Choice, $13.98/lb Prime. Got a 15lb Choice at Costco because the pennies a lb less at Sam's wasn't worth the trip back. Cut four steaks off for my P's 59th anniversary today and cut the rest of the loin in half and vac sealed each half to be sliced in four big steaks or cooked as a roast later. Will make a nice Xmas roast but Rib roasts will be on sale then to.

Reactions: MJB05615
Nice! Shopped whole strip loins at Sam's $8.98/lb Choice, $15.98/lb Prime, then Costco $9.19/lb Choice, $13.98/lb Prime. Got a 15lb Choice at Costco because the pennies a lb less at Sam's wasn't worth the trip back. Cut four steaks off for my P's 59th anniversary today and cut the rest of the loin in half and vac sealed each half to be sliced in four big steaks or cooked as a roast later. Will make a nice Xmas roast but Rib roasts will be on sale then to.
Those prices are pretty darn good , Kurt. Choice here is on "Sale" for $12.99. Gotta check my local Sam's.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky