Blackbuck Antelope TAMALES !

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hoity toit

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Seeing how the seasons are changing and it is getting colder I thought it time to make some tamales to be shared with friends over the holiday season. In Texas and other parts of the country, tamales go hand in hand with good chili and a cold beer and good friends.

One of my like minded friends harvested a black buck antelope in New Mexico a month or so ago and I did the processing and grinding the meat on a course grind once and then frozen.

DAY 1:
The night before was a lot of prep. Cooked 6 lbs of the antelope in a large skillet on low while I made the "chili sauce". I used
Ancho, New Mexico, Chipotle, & California peppers.
I took the peppers and cut them open to scape the seeds out, then put them in the oven @ 350 degrees on a flat sheet for 15 mins.

They were then transferred to a pot of warm water to soak for 45 min. After that the chili pods were placed in a blender with 2 cups of the water they had been soaked in along with 2 tablespoons of minced garlic and 1 tsp of Kosher salt.

Next they were blended into a nice paste using the water they were soaked in that was simmered until it was fairly thick.
By the time the meat had been browned good (at least and hour) I added the sauce to the meat and let simmer until most of the water from the entire had steamed off, then it was placed in a container to cool overnight in the refrig.

Next the corn husks (use fresh husk if possible) are set to soak in water overnight.
img_3200-1-jpg.409691

Now comes making the masa paste for use on the corn shucks.
I just bought a masa flour mix and added melted lard and water as per the directions on the package. I made up the whole 5 pounds and mixed thoroughly then packe into a 2 gallon zip lock and put in the fridge.
img_3203-1-jpg.409692

DAY 2:
Got up at 4 am and took the masa out so it could get to room temp, went back to bed until 8am.
Laid out all the ingredients on some large flat pans to make for easier cleanup later.
img_3204-1-jpg.409693

I use a small scoop to distribute the meat filling to the masa coated corn husk, then add a couple black olives (southwest style) fold over and roll to make a nice seam, the bottom of th e shuck is tucked over the seam and tied with a strip of the corn husk.
img_3206-1-jpg.409694

Note the black olives...
img_3209-1-jpg.409696

Below is tied.
img_3207-1-jpg.409695

Now for a mess of them...tied and ready to steam.
img_3210-1-jpg.409697

img_3211-1-jpg.409698

I placed in a tamale steamer pot which is basically a tall pot with a rack covered with shucks (keeps the bottoms from getting soggy) a few inches above the water and got the water to boil then turned down to simmer, covered with a towel (keeps the steam condensation from dripping on the open end of the tamales) and loose fitting lid.
Steamed for 40 mins +- till the masa was cooked, removed from the heat and set aside to cool enough to remove from the pot (about and hour). Then removed and laid back onto flat pans to further cool before wrapping in foil and placing in the freezer. I like to wrap them 6 to a package instead of 12.....just my preference in the event I want a quick snack without having to defrost a whole dozen.
Don't be intimidated, you too can do this. It just takes a little time and effort, It is a great way to get family and friends together and talk about good times and pass along your skills.
I wonder how they would be smoked after being steamed??? i may have to try that myself.
Enjoy and Happy Tamale making Holidays to all.

HT

Attachments

• IMG_3193[1].JPG
    IMG_3193[1].JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3194[1].JPG
    IMG_3194[1].JPG
    148.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3196[1].JPG
    IMG_3196[1].JPG
    148.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3200[1].JPG
    IMG_3200[1].JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_3203[1].JPG
    IMG_3203[1].JPG
    86.5 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_3204[1].JPG
    IMG_3204[1].JPG
    127.2 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3206[1].JPG
    IMG_3206[1].JPG
    98.3 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3207[1].JPG
    IMG_3207[1].JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_3209[1].JPG
    IMG_3209[1].JPG
    109.9 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3210[1].JPG
    IMG_3210[1].JPG
    133.3 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG_3211[1].JPG
    IMG_3211[1].JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 146
LIKE! If Chili is claiming 6, I'll take an easy dozen over here! :emoji_laughing:

Thanks for the process. Black olives look like a real good addition too!
Yes, you bite into the olive about half way through and go what the heck is this...but it is a good thing.

Reactions: Misplaced Nebraskan
Seeing how the seasons are changing and it is getting colder I thought it time to make some tamales to be shared with friends over the holiday season. In Texas and other parts of the country, tamales go hand in hand with good chili and a cold beer and good friends.

One of my like minded friends harvested a black buck antelope in New Mexico a month or so ago and I did the processing and grinding the meat on a course grind once and then frozen.

DAY 1:
The night before was a lot of prep. Cooked 6 lbs of the antelope in a large skillet on low while I made the "chili sauce". I used
Ancho, New Mexico, Chipotle, & California peppers.
I took the peppers and cut them open to scape the seeds out, then put them in the oven @ 350 degrees on a flat sheet for 15 mins.

They were then transferred to a pot of warm water to soak for 45 min. After that the chili pods were placed in a blender with 2 cups of the water they had been soaked in along with 2 tablespoons of minced garlic and 1 tsp of Kosher salt.

Next they were blended into a nice paste using the water they were soaked in that was simmered until it was fairly thick.
By the time the meat had been browned good (at least and hour) I added the sauce to the meat and let simmer until most of the water from the entire had steamed off, then it was placed in a container to cool overnight in the refrig.

Next the corn husks (use fresh husk if possible) are set to soak in water overnight.
img_3200-1-jpg.409691

Now comes making the masa paste for use on the corn shucks.
I just bought a masa flour mix and added melted lard and water as per the directions on the package. I made up the whole 5 pounds and mixed thoroughly then packe into a 2 gallon zip lock and put in the fridge.
img_3203-1-jpg.409692

DAY 2:
Got up at 4 am and took the masa out so it could get to room temp, went back to bed until 8am.
Laid out all the ingredients on some large flat pans to make for easier cleanup later.
img_3204-1-jpg.409693

I use a small scoop to distribute the meat filling to the masa coated corn husk, then add a couple black olives (southwest style) fold over and roll to make a nice seam, the bottom of th e shuck is tucked over the seam and tied with a strip of the corn husk.
img_3206-1-jpg.409694

Note the black olives...
img_3209-1-jpg.409696

Below is tied.
img_3207-1-jpg.409695

Now for a mess of them...tied and ready to steam.
img_3210-1-jpg.409697

img_3211-1-jpg.409698

I placed in a tamale steamer pot which is basically a tall pot with a rack covered with shucks (keeps the bottoms from getting soggy) a few inches above the water and got the water to boil then turned down to simmer, covered with a towel (keeps the steam condensation from dripping on the open end of the tamales) and loose fitting lid.
Steamed for 40 mins +- till the masa was cooked, removed from the heat and set aside to cool enough to remove from the pot (about and hour). Then removed and laid back onto flat pans to further cool before wrapping in foil and placing in the freezer. I like to wrap them 6 to a package instead of 12.....just my preference in the event I want a quick snack without having to defrost a whole dozen.
Don't be intimidated, you too can do this. It just takes a little time and effort, It is a great way to get family and friends together and talk about good times and pass along your skills.
I wonder how they would be smoked after being steamed??? i may have to try that myself.
Enjoy and Happy Tamale making Holidays to all.HT

Very cool iv been wanting to make some venison tamales, hopefully i can find some time and give it a go soon. Like!

.... there is no wrong way to make tamales.

HT
Oh yeah there is.... LOL.
Talking tamales can be like talking religion or politics.
Depending on who you're talking to, here are just a few.

#1 Dry, crumbling Masa that is too coarse.
#2 Which grind of Masa
#3 Pork, chicken or beef
#4 Parchment instead of cornhusks
#5 Banana leaves instead of cornhusks
#6 Too much Masa

Me personally, I have yet to meet one I didn't like.

Reactions: hoity toit
Christmas tradition at our place. You provided a very good work instruction on making them.

Try smoked turkey, wow. We also do chicken tamales with a little Hatch Chile and a sliver of Wisconsin cheese.

Reactions: hoity toit
Wow they look delicious! The effort was definitely worth it!

Never had a tamale though

Like!

Man that was a lot of work, but it sure looks like it was worth it!
Gonna bookmark this & give it a try this winter!
Al

Man that was a lot of work, but it sure looks like it was worth it!
Gonna bookmark this & give it a try this winter!
Al
With all of your expierence you will not have any trouble making these Al. Go for it. You can pretty much use anything your taste buds like for the filling.

Thanks for the kind words.

HT

HT They look good to me! I made some a few weeks back did't think of Olives nice job.LIKES
Richie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky