• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Black Walnut? Is it any good?

flyfishjeep

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 6, 2010
One of my co-workers has a black walnut tree that needs trimming.  Is this safe for smoking and has anyone used it before?

Thanks!

athabaskar

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Nov 21, 2007
Never used it, but the tree does produce a nut so it should be ok to use. I would test it sparingly. Black Walnut has a lot of tannin and it might make a slightly bitter smoke.

umrjake57

Joined Aug 23, 2010
In the 5-Day ECourse that Jeff sends out, he suggests avoiding it, as it leaves a bitter taste.

Jake

flyfishjeep

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Jan 6, 2010
I hadn't heard of anyone using it either, and if it leaves a bitter taste, then I will just trim the branches and put them in the fireplace later on.

Thanks everyone!

mballi3011

Epic Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Mar 12, 2009

Maybe to make a table out of but not for smoking I hear. Now it will make one pretty table too. I have a couple

pops6927

Gone but never forgotten.
Staff member
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jul 23, 2008
I had a big old black walnut tree in my back yard at the first house we ever owned.  In the spring it was just like mowing a gatling gun, them black walnuts were firing everywhere!  

smokingohiobutcher

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Jun 21, 2009
I just used some last week on some stufz burgers and then later in the week for some regular burgers.

I'll have to say that I was sure it would have a bitter taste but it didnt! Mrs SOB said she really liked it!

It had a strong smoke taste But not as strong as mesquite.  I only had them on the UDS for about an hour

so if it was used for a long smoke it might be too strong. Try it!  I like it and will do it again!

SOB

walterwhite

Smoke Blower
Joined Aug 16, 2009
I've used it numerous times and never noticed a bitter taste. It is definitely milder than hickory and mesquite.

One of the main reasons I made my mini-WSM was to try different woods. I can smoke a couple chickens and some sausage in it and see what flavor different woods impart. The only conclusion I've come to is that everything that comes out of it tastes great!

-walt

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.