black goo inside of the pit

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jarrinjack

Original poster
May 21, 2015
I've been thrilled with my Landmann 38 and have been using it hard for about 6 months.   I've built up a good bit of black gooey, glue-like sticky stuff on the inside and what concerns me most is the goo on the inside top deck.   Sometimes, it drips on my food, and recently I reached in and started peeling off a rubbery sheet of black goo.   Any suggestions from more seasoned professionals?  Thanks in advance,   JarrinJack

Is your wood properly seasoned? Do you use water in the pan? How thick is your smoke normally?
A thick buildup is creosote. Building up that fast is most likely from either to much smoke or bad smoke as in wet wood. Moisture inside the cook chamber will cause it to be gooey.

Thank you for the input.   I'm starting to think I am creating too much smoke.  I normally fill up the wood pan with a combination of chunks and chips & rarely end up with the bucolic light blue smoke......I end up with billows of white smoke.   Will cut back a bit and try it that way.    Many thanks.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky