Bit by the BBQ bug

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mandyx2

Original poster
Jul 12, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area
I got bit by the BBQ bug after watching videos constantly posted on Facebook by a friend who has a Big Green Egg. I whined and begged for a BGE but we decided we couldn't justify the $$$ since we have a quality grill that we use all the time and are very happy with. So we got ourselves a very cool-looking smoker - a Brinkmann vertical smoker w/indirect heat (Trail Master Limited edition) and we are on our way. We've tried it three times and get a little better each time, but definitely need some advice to figure stuff out.

Can I just say this is much harder than it looks!

Welcome from SC, Mandy. I hope you will enjoy this site where lots of folks are always eager to share their ideas, tips, recipes or anything else that you may need. All you have to do is ask. Good luck and good smoking, Joe.

I read the other thread responses about your smoky chicken.  All good suggestions.  One more thought; are you using a water pan or dry smoking?  Using water will cause more smoke flavor.  I dry smoke to tone down the smoke flavor and never have a problem, even with the strong woods like hickory and mesquite. 

We're not using a water pan because what we read was it's not needed for a vertical / indirect heat model like ours. I think it's needed for keeping the heat dispersed, yes? Water pans are one of the many nuances that I'm still figuring out. Anyhoo, dry smoke.

Got it.  Water pans are basically heat sinks to help maintain lower temps due to the physical properties of boiling water.  No matter how much heat you add in an unpressurized environment, 210F is the highest the water temp will climb, and that steam helps keep temps lower in the smoke chamber.  A moist, smoky environment though will cause more smoke to adhere to the meat too that's why I asked.  Since you are dry smoking, that is not an issue.   

Low and slow smoking of chicken will cause the meat to absorb more smoke since it is in the environment longer.  When I smoke chickens or chicken parts I am typically in the 300-325-350F range.  Higher temps give crispier, bite through skin and will lessen the time exposed to smoke.

Won't be long and you'll have your chicken nailed! 

texas.gif
  Good evening and welcome from another hot day in East Texas and the best forum on the internet, Lots of great people with tons of information on just about  everything. Glad you joined up.

Gary

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky