Biscuits and Gravy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chef jimmyj

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
May 12, 2011
All the talk about Breakfast gave me a taste for Biscuits and Gravy. These go together quickly and taste great...JJ

The Biscuits...

20191117_133119.jpg

And the Pan of Sausage Gravy...

20191117_133125.jpg

My Plate. 2 halved biscuits with hidden sausage patties and 3, Fresh this morning, Eggs...

20191117_134343.jpg

Southern Sandwich Biscuits in a KitchenAid Mixer

Ingredients

4 1/2 Cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the board.
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbs baking powder (use one without aluminum)
2 tsp kosher salt
12 Tbs unsalted butter, 3 Half sticks, Frozen Solid!
1 3/4 Cups Buttermilk, very cold.
1/2 Cup Sour Cream.
2 Tbs Sugar

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 450°F.

2. Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of the mixer, stir together with your fingers.

3. Course grate the frozen butter into the flour in three installments, or 1/2 stick at a time, tossing together with your fingers after each installment.

4. Install the flat Paddle attachment. Add the buttermilk and sour cream then mix on lowest speed for about 15 seconds. Scrape the bowl, getting the dry stuff on the bottom and beat on second speed for 15 seconds more.

5. Turn the dough out onto a floured board, cleaning the dough off the paddle. Flour the top of the dough well and pat out to a 1" thick rectangle.

6. Use a round cutter, frequently dipped in flour, to cut into 3" rounds pulling the scraps to the side.

7. Important! STACK the scraps and press them together. Fold and press again 1-2 times until fairly uniform. Press out to 1" thick and cut additional biscuits, repeating this step until you get 12 biscuits.

8. Place the biscuits on a lightly greased cookie sheet- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like "crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together.

10. Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes until the biscuits are a light golden brown on top and bottom. Do not over bake!

Sausage Gravy

Ingredient

2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Pound Breakfast Sausage, hot or mild
1/2 Cup Fine Diced Onion
1/3 Cup All-purpose Flour
4 Cups Whole Milk
1/2 teaspoons Bell's Poultry Seasoning, or 1/2 teaspoons, Rubbed Sage and 1/4 teaspoon Dry Thyme, rubbed.
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
2 teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper,

Directions.
1. Melt the Butter in a pan, add Onion and Sweat, over med heat, until translucent.

2. Increase the heat to med/high and Add the Sausage.

3. Break up into desired sized crumbles and saute until golden brown. Don't burn the Onions!

4. Add the Flour and Seasonings.
Saute about 2 minutes to cook away the starchy taste.

5. Whisk in the Milk, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.

6. Simmer to combine flavors and reduce to desired thickness. Add more milk if needed.

7. Adjust Salt and Pepper.

Serve over Biscuits.

Makes a Quart of Gravy or about 8, 1/2 Cup portions.
Enjoy!

Looks like a wonderful breakfast JJ. I wish we had the fix'ins in the house this morning.

Point for sure
Chris

Thanks for lookin' and the Likes. This went together so easily that Bev asked why we don't have Biscuits more often. I had no answer. We will be making Biscuits more frequently but the Sausage Gravy is pretty rich and filling. After eating I passed out for 4 hours...JJ

Nice! Love sausage biscuits and gravy. I make it a lot during the winter months when I’m off for the weekend because a nap is surely needed.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I need to try your biscuits instead of cheating and using the ones in the tube.

Yes sir for sure a great breakfast and is easy to make do it all the time. Some good jelly or apple butter on any left over biscuits.

Nice! Love sausage biscuits and gravy. I make it a lot during the winter months when I’m off for the weekend because a nap is surely needed.

Thanks for sharing the recipe. I need to try your biscuits instead of cheating and using the ones in the tube.

Ray Pillsbury makes good frozen biscuits buy in a bag of 20. Much better than the can ones.

Warren

Reactions: xray
xray xray Definitely give the Biscuits a try. Night and day in texture and flavor from the Tube. Thesee were cut with a 3" cutter. If you go larger, 4" or so, they make great Sandwiches like Sausage, Bacon, Ham or Pork Roll Egg and Cheese. We also make Dinner Sandwiches with 1/2" Thick Fried Chicken Breasts. Top with whatever you like. Here, Lettuce, Tomato, Bacon and Ranch Dressing is a Favorite. Make a Maple Sauce with Mayo, Maple Syrup and Hot Sauce drizzled over the Chicken if you want to keep it simple.. .JJ

Reactions: xray
My wife orders biscuits and gravy almost every time we go out to breakfast. She saw the pics and says your gravy is spot on, what she hopes to see when her plate arrives. Like. RAY

Great Job Chef!

LIKE!

I am a sausage and biscuit fan too, but my lithe trim figure (not) makes it off limits. But I still order it once in a great while.

Thanks for the recipe's, I am going to save them for the next "once in a while"

John

All the talk about Breakfast gave me a taste for Biscuits and Gravy. These go together quickly and taste great...JJ

The Biscuits...

View attachment 411959

And the Pan of Sausage Gravy...

View attachment 411960

My Plate. 2 halved biscuits with hidden sausage patties and 3, Fresh this morning, Eggs...

View attachment 411961

Southern Sandwich Biscuits in a KitchenAid Mixer

Ingredients

4 1/2 Cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting the board.
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 Tbs baking powder (use one without aluminum)
2 tsp kosher salt
12 Tbs unsalted butter, 3 Half sticks, Frozen Solid!
1 3/4 Cups Buttermilk, very cold.
1/2 Cup Sour Cream.
2 Tbs Sugar

Directions

1. Preheat your oven to 450°F.

2. Combine the dry ingredients in the bowl of the mixer, stir together with your fingers.

3. Course grate the frozen butter into the flour in three installments, or 1/2 stick at a time, tossing together with your fingers after each installment.

4. Install the flat Paddle attachment. Add the buttermilk and sour cream then mix on lowest speed for about 15 seconds. Scrape the bowl, getting the dry stuff on the bottom and beat on second speed for 15 seconds more.

5. Turn the dough out onto a floured board, cleaning the dough off the paddle. Flour the top of the dough well and pat out to a 1" thick rectangle.

6. Use a round cutter, frequently dipped in flour, to cut into 3" rounds pulling the scraps to the side.

7. Important! STACK the scraps and press them together. Fold and press again 1-2 times until fairly uniform. Press out to 1" thick and cut additional biscuits, repeating this step until you get 12 biscuits.

8. Place the biscuits on a lightly greased cookie sheet- if you like soft sides, put them touching each other. If you like "crusty" sides, put them about 1 inch apart- these will not rise as high as the biscuits put close together.

10. Bake for about 13 to 15 minutes until the biscuits are a light golden brown on top and bottom. Do not over bake!

Sausage Gravy

Ingredient

2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Pound Breakfast Sausage, hot or mild
1/2 Cup Fine Diced Onion
1/3 Cup All-purpose Flour
4 Cups Whole Milk
1/2 teaspoons Bell's Poultry Seasoning, or 1/2 teaspoons, Rubbed Sage and 1/4 teaspoon Dry Thyme, rubbed.
1/2 to 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
2 teaspoons Freshly Ground Black Pepper,

Directions.
1. Melt the Butter in a pan, add Onion and Sweat, over med heat, until translucent.

2. Increase the heat to med/high and Add the Sausage.

3. Break up into desired sized crumbles and saute until golden brown. Don't burn the Onions!

4. Add the Flour and Seasonings.
Saute about 2 minutes to cook away the starchy taste.

5. Whisk in the Milk, bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer.

6. Simmer to combine flavors and reduce to desired thickness. Add more milk if needed.

7. Adjust Salt and Pepper.

Serve over Biscuits.

Makes a Quart of Gravy or about 8, 1/2 Cup portions.
eads
Enjoy!
Looks like my kinda rib stickin breakfast. Nothing like homemade cat heads. I make em like my Mamaw taught me many, many years ago. All ya missing is fried doves or fried whitetail and some rice. LOL!!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky