Birthday Smoke with a "Dudestrami"! Tons of qview and a running account.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

the dude abides

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 12, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
So today I did it again. I said no to going golfing because I decided to stay home and smoke. Today is my 41st birthday so I figured I'd make this a day with some stuff I'd never tried before.

The first is SPAM (I'm not even sure what category to post that one in) which I don't even like all that well, but figured I'd better just to say I'd done it. Second are Country Style Ribs (done plenty of other ribs, just not Country Style) and a can in the butt chicken. I'm also doing what oneshot has deemed "Dudestrami". Yep another CBB.

I'll do the "Dudestrami" and the SPAM in this thread and do the others in their appropriate rooms.

Here we go...

An almost 4lb CBB
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

there's virtually no fat on this one. I set it off to soak for about 6 hours with one water change at the 4 hour mark
ry%3D400

all rinsed off and patted dry. This one has grain moving in all different directions.
ry%3D400

Using the basic Dudestrami rub of EVOO, Pickling Spice and Old Bay. And just to do something a little different...I also added minced garlic a bunch of ground black pepper.
ry%3D400

drizzled with EVOO. One this shot you can see there's little fat and the swirly grain.
ry%3D400

here she is all rubbed down and ready to head off to bed for the night.
ry%3D400

this is going on the borrowed (now considered stolen) WSM from my dad. Doing the minion method using Kingsford Charwood Lump charcoal, and cherry chunks. I've also got a bunch of apple chips that will probably get mixed in later today.
ry%3D400

The water pan is equal parts beer, apple juice and water.
ry%3D400

Didn't take any picts of the SPAM but basically I just did the crosshatch cut that I see everyone else doing. I'll sprinkle a little rub on at the one hour mark which is coming right up.

I got a bit of a late start. The SPAM and the corned beef went on at 11:30. It's almost 12:30. So I'm going to spritz the corned beef, dust the SPAM with rub and start prepping the chicken.

Here's a shot at 11:30 when I first put it on
ry%3D400

holding steady at 230*...
ry%3D400

...I'll be back shortly.

That didn't take long...
Here's a couple of updated picts of the SPAM and the CBB
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

temp just spiked to 250*. Likely because I had the lid open. Gonna go shut down the vents for a couple of minutes. They're only about 1/3 open now.

Looking great so far Dude, Happy Birthday man!
Dudestrami, I like that.
Not a fan of spam either but almost grabbed a can of turkey spam the other day, but alas I did not.
Dude you are definitely NOT out of your element.

Thanks Buddy.

The SPAM just came off as I was dropping the chicken on the smoker. Oh man. Epic FAIL on the chicken. Going to go create that thread in a few minutes. You'll have to go over there and look in a bit.

The SPAM was well...SPAM. I thought it tasted like a greasy hot dog with spice (from the rub) and a bit of a bite with the smoke creating a bit of a "skin" on it. I had a few pieces. The wife said it was disgusting, but she was raised on SPAM and can't even stand the word. My 17 year old shrugged his shoulders, had one piece and walked away. He wasn't impressed.
ry%3D400

My 9 year old said "Wow that's good. It tastes just like ham!" And my 10 year old loved it. That's her below.
ry%3D400

Be back later with updates on the pastrami, errrr Dudestrami. Thanks oneshot. Love that name.

Happy Birthday Dude!! Fourtee-wun.....a great age to be. Old enough to do whatever you want and young enough to still enjoy it. Congratulations. Your 40's are a great decade!

Looking forward to more of your birthday smokes. As far as SPAM is concerned you either like it or don't. Try using a nice BBQ sauce on it next time...it'll run down between the crosshatch cuts, and as it glazes over when it cooks it makes what my kids call "riblets". You just pluck them off and they are boneless little ribs of goodness.

I have GOT to try making "dudestrami"! You are the pastrami makin' king of the site, and have got me wanting to try it. This weekend a Sam's opened up and I stopped by this morning. What a madhouse! BUT~ I did check out their CBB and packer-cut prices. The CBB packets were priced right, but the full packers were the same as my grocery store. They did have entire Angus loins for 4.99/LB! If I had brought some money or my checkbook I would have bought one.

Anyway, have a great day and we all appreciate your posts.

Happy birthday to youuuuu......Happy birthday to youuuuuuu........
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DUDE!!!!! 41?????? Hahahahahahaaaa, now the time starts flyin!!!!! Next week yer gonna be 50!!!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I used Black Peppercorn on my Dudestrami and yer gonna love the extra added kick/flavor it adds.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

And if anyone can save that chicken, you can. Keep the faith brother from another mother.....lmao

Happy Birthday Dude! I'm paying much more attention to that Dudestami you're working on.
biggrin.gif
Looking forward to the final Qview.

Though I like Spam fried to a crisp, I tried smoking it a while back, and didn't like it at all.

Thank you for the b-day wishes everyone. Much appreciated.

Just a quick update. Foiled the pastrami at 4:30 Central time at 166*. Temps in the smoker holding steady at 235*. Foiled it and added some apple juice. Will pull it off at 195* and foil for a couple of hours. Here's a quick pic I snapped as I was getting to foil.

ry%3D400

the other foil pack is the CSRs. I forgot to take a pict of those before foiling.

I'll be back after the rest period when I slice.

Thanks again.

Everything look fabulous to me dude. Happy Birthday

biggrin.gif
Happy birthday!!!
biggrin.gif

Love the dudestrami. I HATE SPAM!!! you can't cook it where i would eat it much less like it. Same reason as you better half , Spam overload when i was coming up.

happy b-day dude, no better way to spend than firing up a smoker.

spam looked good, the one I did a few weeks ago surpirsed me. I liked it.

nice lookin array of food.
points.gif

Great looking Q so far, Waiting on final pics.

41 yrs old, you are just a spring chicken.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Thanks everyone for the great birthday wishes. I appreciate the thoughts. Here's a quick recap and some final picts.

11:30am - Put the CBB on cold right from the fridge. Day of firsts remember.
4:30pm - Foiled at 167* added straight apple juice
6:00pm - pulled and put into cooler at 198*

Let it rest for 1.5 hours while we had dinner. LOL yes this is mostly for me. I'll eat lunches off of this for a while. Which was my plan from the beginning.

Here it is as I took it out of the cooler
ry%3D400

I started to slice and it seemed tough. I sampled it and it wasn't at all. this thing had grain running all kinds of directions.
ry%3D400

This SOB just didn't want to slice. But it shredded by just pushing the flat of my carving knife down on it. So while I've never really had a pulled reuben before, I'll guess that's what I'll be having.
ry%3D400

All bagged up and off to the freezer.
ry%3D400

The flavor was fine. It was just as I expected. Just wouldn't slice for anything. Never had one act like this. Oh well, I'm not disappointed.

Thanks for checking out my post everyone. Have a great weekend.

Good yob mun!!!! Now we got a new style meat.....
Pulled Dudestrami....lmao
biggrin.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

How'd ya like the peppercorn flavor?????

Looked great to me Dude, wish I still had some in the freezer.
You can make a great pastrami hash out of the pulled bits and it is unbelievable.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky