Birthday Smoke w/Q-View

Discussion in 'Pork' started by smoking in ft. collins, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Today is my 46th Birthday so I figured what a better way to celebrate than to get up early and smoke some food!

I have a 10lb brisket, 6lb Boston Butt and my first Fattie!

Smoker is starting to humm!

On the grill at 6:20AM local

Off to get more sleep! John

2. Looking great John Happy Birthday[​IMG]

3. mballi3011

mballi3011 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

First Happy Birthday and I hope you have a load of people coming over to eat. You have quite a mess of good looking smoke there. Well enjoy and drink one for me.[​IMG]

4. carnuba

carnuba Smoke Blower

WAKE UP!!!!!!!!!!

j/k happy b/day

5. Just me and my wife! Leftovers! OK, Kidding I am sharing!

Updated 2 hour shots!

Boston Butt

Brisket

Fattie - Done!

Fattie - Sliced!

John

6. jaxgatorz

jaxgatorz Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looking good !!![​IMG]

7. eman

eman Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member

happy birthday John,
    Great looking grub right there.[​IMG]

8. pignit

pignit Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Everything looks really great. Looks like a successful first smoke. I have to make an observation though. That first pic looks like an incredible amount of wood chunks for smoke. When I use the Joe I put maybe 2 or 3 pieces the size you have in the firebox. Didn't that create a huge amount of smoke? Did you let it burn down some before you put the meat on?

9. Well thanks, but this isn't my first smoke. I had a bed of coals under the wood and I wanted to go to bed for a little while. Now I toss 2 or 3 on at a time. John

10. pignit

Sorry John... been reading a bunch of posts and had just read a thread about a first smoke and I think the first fatty thing stuck in my head. I've never put that much wood in with my charcoal. I've used the minion method where I would mix it in at different spots in the unlit charcoal but never laid it on top that way. Looks great!

11. No problem! Interested in the Minion method. Is there a sticky on that somewhere?

Basically what I do is light the charcoal and pour it in the box add some chunks on top and then add chunks/charcoal throughout the day. If there is a better method, I am interested.

John

12. pignit

I do the same thing except I burn from the end instead of the bottom. First time I had my lit coals facing the draft. It actually burned very hot so next time I turned the hot coals towards the smoker and let it burn towards the draft. Worked better for me. Here is a link to some info on the minion method. I used some of the info plus added what worked best for me.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/fireup2.html

If you google minion method you will come up with lots of readin.

13. Thanks! I will try that next time (Labor Day)

14. Big time Plateau! I have been at 156 for the Butt and 152 for the Brisket for 3 hours! 2PM local, it better get moving!

15. fourthwind

fourthwind Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Hope these Thunder storms stay to the south of you today. So far you are in pretty good shape up there, but this is Colorado. Smoking with funnel clouds over head. [​IMG]

16. Whoo Hoo! Plateau is over! Pork up to 160, Brisket to 155!

17. smokeamotive

smokeamotive Smoking Fanatic

Good lookin stuff there. And a happy birthday [​IMG]

18. Well I might have spoke too soon :( Seems to have stalled again at 163 and 155.

19. pignit

That's what you get for tellin anybody.

20. oneshot

oneshot Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

I did the same thing doin a Dudestrami, it ended up stalling for 4 hours.
    I'll never say that again!!!!!!![​IMG]