Birthday Butts!....(qview)

Discussion in 'Pork' started by earache_my_eye, Oct 7, 2008.

1. earache_my_eye

earache_my_eye Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

ok....so this all went down a week ago.....I took my birthday off to relax and do some smoking. Cut 2 boneless pork butts in half, because I really like the extra smoke they get that way.

So, anyway.....I took a tip from BBQG, and added coffee to a "sweet" type rub for one butt...(the darker one)....and used a rub "mix" from a store in Des Moines I went to with Walking Dude for the other one.

the rub "mix"

"sweet" rub w/coffee

AAAAHHHHHHHH......tbs......[​IMG]

steady as she goes!!....tried to keep temps inside 230-240*.....8 hours to do the split butts.....that's another benefit of splitting them.....less time to smoke.

coffee butt....

coffee pulled

"mixed" butt....

and pulled......

I liked the coffee one, but not too sure it was everything I expected.....may try again with a Guinness mop.....[​IMG]

That 'rub mix' from the store is really quite good! I still have enough for at least one more butt and maybe some ribs.

Thx for chkn my Q

L8r,
    Eric

2. rickw

rickw Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks real nice.

3. doctor phreak

doctor phreak Smoking Fanatic

good job eme....never heard of putting coffee in a rub...whats the purpose besides getting ramped up from the caffine high....

4. capt dan

capt dan Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice thread, and great pics. What was the name of the store rub?[​IMG]

5. smokebuzz

smokebuzz Master of the Pit OTBS Member

been doing the coffee thing for a while also, it adds some rickness to your rub and sauces. I really like it with beef.

LOOKS GOOD ERIC!!

6. bmudd14474

bmudd14474 Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Looked good. Not sure I would like the coffee one. Not much of a coffee person but it sure looked good.

7. earache_my_eye

Willingham's world famous somethingorother....it had a tart, kind of citrusy flavor by itself....but, the guy at the store sold me a smaller bottle of a savory rub to mix with it 2:1....hence the "mix"......and I also added a couple tsp. of Richoso's 12 spice rub to it for some kick.

8. erain

erain Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

they both looked good from here eric so looks like you had a good birthday smoke. neat trick splitin the butt!!! great job!!!

9. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Congrats on a good smoke, and great Q too. Nothiing qrong with trying something different, could be the makings of something great.

10. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

looks good eric-nice smoke

11. bb53chevpro

bb53chevpro Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great Eric. Keep the great smokes coming.

12. grothe

grothe Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Great job Eric....Real nice pics, too!!! [​IMG]

13. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job Eric.[​IMG]

14. solar

solar Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Nice job and Qview, I'm not a big coffee fan but I'm willing to try something once. Does the coffee add a lot of coffee flavor? I love the aroma of brewed coffee but don't care much for the taste.

15. pineywoods

pineywoods Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead SMF Premier Member

Nice job Eric [​IMG]

16. earache_my_eye

I can't say that it added a LOT of coffee flavor.....I'm going to try this again with some modifications....and a different mop.....probably Guinness Draught....we'll see if it makes any difference. I liked the other rub better.

L8r,
    Eric