Birria Tacos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

banderson7474

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 24, 2016
Alabama (near Auburn)
chilerelleno chilerelleno I could've sworn at one time, you gave out a recipe for birria tacos where a chuck was smoked for a few hrs and then put in a pot of birria broth to finish off. Then I would dip the tortillas in the fluid and put in cast iron with meat and cheese to finish it off. However, I looked thru your posted recipes and can't find it. Do you have a birria recipe by chance? I like to get the authentic peppers and hydrate them back into a spicy broth.

It's very possible that I'm confusing the time I used one of your very delicious chili recipes where you use chipotle peppers. (I won 3 yrs in a row with that one)

This one?

Reactions: chilerelleno
This one?
That's close but the one I'm thinking of has the chuck going into the pot of birria liquid and used guajillo and Ancho peppers but thanks for the post!

Here ya go!

Here is another good one:

I did a crockpot version of these last week. Then finished them on the griddle. A first for me. But the son said they were pretty good. He ate on them for 3 days....so 🤷‍♂️. The smoking of the roast first will be one of the things I do next time.
Look forward to your post on them.

Jim

This one?
That would one of the good ones of mine, the one I would've suggested.

Last edited:
This one maybe?

Last edited:
chilerelleno chilerelleno I could've sworn at one time, you gave out a recipe for birria tacos where a chuck was smoked for a few hrs and then put in a pot of birria broth to finish off. Then I would dip the tortillas in the fluid and put in cast iron with meat and cheese to finish it off. However, I looked thru your posted recipes and can't find it. Do you have a birria recipe by chance? I like to get the authentic peppers and hydrate them back into a spicy broth.

It's very possible that I'm confusing the time I used one of your very delicious chili recipes where you use chipotle peppers. (I won 3 yrs in a row with that one)
Thanks for thinking it was me, but it wasn't.
To my recollection I've not posted a straight up Birria recipe.
But fo'sure some others have posted some damned good ones, a couple of which have already been linked in this thread.

That Chipoltle Chile recipe is a good one.
I'm thrilled it's done so well by you, I know it has for me.

Reactions: banderson7474
I had never heard of birria tacos until I went to a Plaza Azteca restaurant in town here. Very different for sure, and they were not bad. They served them with a side of broth to dip the tacos in.

I didn't get hooked on them like I thought I would. I actually prefer their straight up ground beef tacos. This place actually seasons the meat well unlike a lot of run-of-the-mill Mexican places. I stopped making hard shell tacos at home, they are just too much of a pain and a mess for me. So I get my taco fix at the restaurant! I love them, but hate to make them (the hard shell version).

Kudos to all you making these griddled tacos. I'm getting lazy!

I love birria. I actually prefer it served as a beef consume/soup rather than tacos. And its easier.
I've never smoked the beef, just braised it. Not sure I could taste the smoke with all the chiles in it.

Sounds similar to this, except the short ribs.

chuck was smoked for a few hrs and then put in a pot of birria broth to finish off.
I know this is a month old , but here's one posted by Thirdeye .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky