Bird Peppers?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

hawgheaven

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
May 5, 2007
I don't grow these, but my sister-in-law does down in Allen, TX... lemmee tell ya', these suminaguns are HHOTTTTT!!

Has anyone ever had any experience with them? I grind them up and use them in my chili, want to use them in sauces and such, but man, ya' gotta be careful! WOOOHOOO!!

birdpeppers.jpg

That bag looks like a fresh batch of Chile Pequin, if so this is the skiiny.
Pequins Chiles
This small somewhat oval shaped chile is sometimes called “birds eye†and grows wild in Mexico and South Texas. Like most tiny chiles, this pepper packs a punch rating at 8-9. They say that Underneath that heat is a sweet, citrus like flavor (BS, all I could tast was fire). I've had them before and yes they are hot, someone ground them up on the spot when I was having menudo. Be sure and have some liquid nearby, the powder can gag you, honest.

I've never had the chance to use fresh but, the Peri Peri as they are called in Africa are some mighty tasty chilie peppers and yes they have just the flavors you describe. Nando's make a hot sauce using the bird peppers and they are fantastic! I use the Nando's sauces like catsup!

I bought a small bag of those in Mexico. I just pinch "one" in a bowl of chili or soup. Good taste but pretty warm!

I grew some one year. Dried a bunch for grinding. Too many seeds for the amount of pepper in my opinion. Oh yeah they are hot but not the best choice for processing.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky