Biggest Brisket for me yet, Burnt End Question

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

herkysprings

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 2, 2009
Eugene, OR
So I'm going to try the following recipe for my 13 pound brisket this weekend:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ght=Burnt+ends

My question is, the recipe says to separate the tip from the flat, and put it back on the BBQ, when the flat is done (190).

Is this truely the best way to get burnt ends? I think I've seen soem people who cube up the tip and toss in rub / sauce and then put those back on the BBQ?

If I were to do this, do I have to wait for it all to rest? Any help for my first burnt bits is appreciated.

I smoke it with the flat, then pull it out when the flat is done, separate, cube, toss in more rub and put back on the smoker in a tin pan with some juice is what I do.

Same here....Put a little Smoke Wagon sauce, extra rub and back in they go all cubed up....Now for a walk on the wild side throw into pan after cubed mix with some crushed red pepper flakes and some honey, and crushed garlic.. I like em hot myself but not the family

How long do they take to finish, or do you cook them till 200?

Or is it more like when the BBQ sauce (sugar) caramelizes?

I dont temp mine I just cook until they look like burnt ends...Nice dark color and sugar is really caramelized...Since you cube them the rest of teh cooking time isnt vey long

Your already getting some good advice so like they said just put some more (alittle bit) of rub and some sauce o the cubes of meat and throw them back on the smoker for about 1 1/2-2 hours and you should have nice well barked remember burnt ends. I hust grab one off and taste because you know If your not tasting your not cooking. Good Luck they will be great. Don't forget the Qview if you want it to happen.

I also prefer to remove the point after smoking, makes it a lot easier.
I have tried a few different ways but what I prefer is to cube the point, toss is some rub and back intot he smoker for an hour or 2 then toss with bbq and another 1-2 hours.
Pile up on some white bread and enjoy.
I gotta stop, you're making me hungry.

As for the resting, I let the whole thing rest for 1 hour before I remove and cube the point, that way I won't have juices pouring out of the meat.

I tried burnt ends for the first time a few weeks ago. I pulled the whole brisket at 190, let it rest for about 1 1/2 hrs and then separated the point.

I coated the chunks with more rub and then poured over a mixture of the brisket juices and bbq sauce and back on the smoker for about 2 hrs.

Everything came out wonderful. It was the favorite appetizer for the evening.

Good luck!

Reactions: magnus
I have done em every way possible.When flat reaches internal i want i seperate the point.You can almost do it with your hands-two seperate types of meat.

I like to cube and turn inside edges up.Then i smoke while the flat is resting-say 2-3 hours

Definetly try some after smoking a bit more.They are good on own.

This batch i added k.c.masterpiece steak marinade after 3 hours smoke

Background is garden/storage house.Nobody lives there but cat.Little primitive looking!!!

anyway you do em they are a treat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You all are definitely professionals! I'm going to try that next time...never done them before, but will now.

Thanks for the push
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

It was requested that this thread be made a sticky. Good info and if you never had burnt ends, you are truely missing out. Like the others have posted I too add some some more rub to the cubed point along with a bit of que sauce (this is the only time I ever sauce my brisket) and back into the smoker.

I like to pile the burnt ends onto a hoagie roll with some sauted onions and bell pepper and a slice or two of provolone cheese.

Since it was my brisket, here is a couple pics of my burnt ends from that hunk of meat, before they went into the smoker. I cut them a bit large, almost 2"X2" due to the fact that the point was very fatty and falling apart.

I dont have post smoked pictures because, well, they are that good!

Herky,actually the burnt ends seen in Texas are the little tid-bits you get after slicing the Flat,added to the defatted point which is then shredded and placed back into the smoker.A loto f sauce here will make it sloppy and it just shouldn't be like that;have just a "little" sauce on it and served on a good bun with Dill Pickle and Onion.
drool.gif
Just sayin'

have fun and... 

Another trick is keep your cubes big enough to put dirrectly on the grate without a pan. This lets them carmalize better without getting soggy. I always use the point for burnt ends, once the flat hits 200° I seperate the point, and put the flat in the cooler to rest. Cube the point dust it with dry rub and put a thin coat of sauce, toss them onto the smoker and kick the temp up to 250°, two hours later you got little pieces of heaven!

Reactions: magnus
Hi all, Just found and signed up for the forum.  Im about 30 mins from firing up my WSM for a brisket packer cook and going to cook up the burnt ends for the 1st time.  I really cannot wait till tomorrow!!!!

I will be making a brisket for the first time on either Sat or Sun, glad to have found this post, I will definately have to try this, it sounds yummy, sounds like lunch the following day : )

I like to use the perforated grillng pans when I do burnt ends. I'll also use these pans for smoking meatloaf. The hole allow for the fat to fall a way and crisp the outside up.

I like to use the perforated grillng pans when I do burnt ends. I'll also use these pans for smoking meatloaf. The hole allow for the fat to fall a way and crisp the outside up.
Very Cool, Dutch!!!

Thanks,

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky