Big Lots has cheapo 22.5" Kettle on Clearance for $15

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dbarnett66

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 27, 2008
I had my choice of the floor model or one in the box. I just took the floor model. The metal is really chincy, but should work as a cover for my UDS. The cover is a little small so right now it balances on top. I intend to beat the out side edge of the metal cover with a rubber mallet to flatten the ridge around the perimeter and make it a little wider. The original price was $37 but it was marked down to $15. After I metal smith a little, I will let you know how it goes....

Dan -San Diego

I saw one drum build that incorporated part of a kettle bottom......they cut about 2 inches or so off the bottom and slipped it down inside the drum.....nice tight kettle lid seal that way.....
biggrin.gif

L8r,
Eric

Maybe I can pick your brains on this one too. While the pictures may show a perfect fit, please realize that both the top and bottom lids are balanced on the rim. I have no doubt that a strong wind or accidental bump will knock the lids loose. I am thnking about either bending the lids in to fit inside the barrel or to flatten the curled edages to for a wide bead around the outside of the drum. Your thoughts and ideas will be appreciated...

Reciept Information:

22.5 Inch Kettle Grill 15.00
Item number 210017303

Here is the top lid: Notice that the vebt cover is missing from the exhaust. What can I complain about for 15 bucks!

332103724_UgRxw-L.jpg

Here is another picture of the bottom part of the frill as a top for my UDS. I like this option better because it is taller and has the exhaust vent cover that is adjustable:

332105414_DzEZX-M.jpg

Here is a close up of the lid fit. While it looks good here, I can almost knock it off by breathing too hard. I may flatten the edges for a more stable fit.

332106089_Kvp8T-M.jpg

Another view of the bottom lid fit. This edge is really curled up and is not as flat as the picture makes it out to be.

332105454_yVk4m-M.jpg

More goodies. The grates are very thin compared to the weber. I may keep them as a back up to the grates I have already purchased, or save them for another UDS build....
icon_smile.gif
Maybe that black thing could be a heat shield deflector? (Ignore that black handle thing...it jumped into the picture and has no future in this project.)

332106512_aqj8h-M.jpg

I think that I am going to work with this as my final build. I will keep you posted.....

332103553_c8sdj-M.jpg

That is an excellent thought, but I can see myself cutting off too much and having that drop straight to the bottom.
biggrin.gif
I will keep this idea open for now.

Thanks

Until you "modify" the lid, how bout vice clamps to hold the lid on while smoking? I suspect it will leak quite a bit though with alot of heat escaping.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky