Big Bird....low and slow?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

geek with fire

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Aug 5, 2007
Rural out-skirts of Sedalia, MO
OK, I know we've discussed several time that there's no benefit to cooking birds low and slow. More importantly, it has been said that low and slow leaves poultry in the danger zone too long. With that said, I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on a Turducken cooked on Diner's, Drive-Ins and Dives for 12 hours at 200 degrees. Of course they did it in an oven, but shouldn't make a difference.
Here's the recipe they used, by the way:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._85721,00.html

With that said, I don't like duck, so I'm planning on a Turkey, Chicken, Game Hen combination. Also, I think without the duck, the Andouille would come off pretty strong. So, I'm thinking just a simple mixture of onions, apple, bacon, and roasted bell peppers between each layer.

So, back to the original question: I like the low and slow idea as I think it will aid even cooking without the outer shell over cooking too quickly. Agree/Disagree? Suggestions?

Josh, I am a true believer in the lower and slower the better. I pre heat my smoker for my turkeys to 300 and cook tmp of 225-250 until internal temp of 170 is reached. I never have had a problem with the birds going bad. I also sell these birds so I instill the bacteria factor into my customers heads to take the reheat temp in their ovens to 300 to insure that the product is safe. For my own consumption we eat them off the smoker and never had anything or problems from the cooking. jmo

Thanks Muddy! I think their 200 degree cook is a bit low for my taste, but the 225-250 range, as you mentioned, should be fine.

I'll probably pull it when the inner bird hits 165. The turkey breast might get a little too much heat, but I'll probably cook it breast side down in a pan (like my Roaster/Cornish Hen combo a couple of weeks ago). The bacon drippings seem to keep the breast moist that way.

Thanks again,

Geek,
I questioned the 200* too when I saw that show. I wasn't near as concerned about the bacteria factor as I was the rubbery skin factor. I have always done mine @ high temp.

If you don't like duck, I would suggest that you consider using some boneless turkey thighs in the duck's place. The dark/white combo is a part of the whole turducken thing to me.

As to using fruit & veggie stuffing, what turducken is to me is more of a "Cajun poultry meatloaf" than what it is a stuffed turkey. All the TDs I've had have more or less stuck together in slices like meatloaf. I always enjoyed covering the slice w/ rich brown gravy and then each bite is a mystery until it hits your mouth.

Whatever you do, be sure to post the pix. I'm anxious to see how it all turns out.

Will do! My company hands out turkeys to the employees every year for Christmas, and we get ours tomorrow. So experimenting on free meat is less stressful than something out of my pocket (yea, I'm a big tightwad!)

Man, it's funny you mention that. I just tested some new code for my controller program last night that will let me add some temperature/time flags to the process. So I can set the program to maintain high heat until the meat probe reads +140 for 4 hours, then have it automatically adjust the pit temperature to low heat. Still need to test that on the smoker (with cheap taters....not expensive meat), but that sounds like a good application. Thanks!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky