better bark for my brisket....

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

north bay jed

Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
Novato ca
Hey all, Im new here, I have a brisket question. I just smoked my 3rd brisket. All in all Im fairly pleased, tasty, flavorful and it tettars apart with my hands. It was a 6 lb brisket smoked in my SMS vertical SS smoker. My only complaint is I would like a crunchier bark. I hear puling out the watwer pan might help this? I only mopped once when I flipped it, foiled at 166 and pulled it out at 190. Let it rest for 2 plus hrs. Pretty darn good...but Id luv a crisper bark without substituting moistness...any thoughts? I dont have this prob with my pork butts...they come out with great bark!

Jed

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing about foiling is you lose all the crispiness of the bark you worked so hard to get. Pulling the water and going to a dry chamber also helps. Here are a couple of links that describe the "lean trim no foil wet to dry smoke chamber" method that one of our members has been working on for awhile now. I have adopted this method to a lot of my smokes and it has taken my BBQ to a whole new level.
So if you are willing to go against the norm and step out on a ledge and take a chance on something that Really works then read on:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/141647/brisket-with-wet-to-dry-smoke-chamber-q-view-method

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/wet-to-dry-no-foil-smoke-chamber-method-for-smoking-meats

Last edited:
yeahthat.gif
   What they said...no foil = better bark

Red

No foil will help for sure, if you have the patience to stay with one for the extended cook time.  A spritz of apple juice with some sugar dissolved in it will also help out, but with the sugars, you have to keep a close eye and make sure it doesn't burn.

I came up with a hybrid method that gives me the moistness of foiling, while still maitaining a good bark - it's like 3-2-1 but for brisket.

Cook brisket on racks without foil till temps hit 165°, foil and cook till temps hit 180°, remove from foil and cook till you hit 195°. You will find that after you remove it from the foil the temp will drop about 10°, and it will take about 4'ish hrs. to get up to 195. That 4 or so hours re-sets the bark, but (and this is the part I love) the bark is not overly crunchy and dry - it has just enough moisture to make it very edible and tastey.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky