Best way to plug ventilation holes in gas grill for smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ajjf

Original poster
Sep 4, 2010
Whats the best way to plug the ventilation holes in a gas grill to prep it for smoking?

I have a smoke coming up in about 2 hours and thought I'd throw the question up on the boards.  My thought was to use foil, anything else I can do'?   I'll be smoking at about 250 degrees.

Thanks!

A

icon_cool.gif

What kind of smokedo you have????. A gosm or a smoke vault or a brinkman upright.???? now you could use foil it will work I guess. now why do you want to close a vent and what vent do you want to close off.??

When I smoked on a gas grill, I used foil to cover all the vents on the heat/smoke side of the grill and left the one on the far side open to create an exhaust draft that flows across the cooking grate.  It seemed to work pretty well, but I only smoked ribs on the gas grill.

Thanks!  i ended up plugging the heat/smoke side and the back with foil leaving the opposite side for ventilation/draft.  We'll see how it works, it's the first time smoking on this grill, I usually use my weber kettle but didn't feel like tending coals. 

Post a pic and I bet we can figure out a sheet metal cover for it.

TJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky