Best spare ribs to buy for smoking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

astasiow

Original poster
Jun 14, 2010
What are the best spare ribs to buy for smoking. A champion barbecue master in Mobile AL once told me you have to buy the right kind of spare ribs to get the best quality. I know the brisket bone should be off and the skirt should be removed too. But there is something else he said to ask for when buying the best spare ribs for smoking and I can't remember it. Does anyone else have any idea what he might have been refering to???

What are the best spare ribs to buy for smoking. A champion barbecue master in Mobile AL once told me you have to buy the right kind of spare ribs to get the best quality. I know the brisket bone should be off and the skirt should be removed too. But there is something else he said to ask for when buying the best spare ribs for smoking and I can't remember it. Does anyone else have any idea what he might have been refering to???
Your third sentence is trimming St. Louis style, which most folks do themselves when using spares.

If you don't want bone creep or bone pull back, you might look for spares that have the meat extended about 3/8 in. beyond the rib bone. And you might want to buy racks with less fat layers. I'm not sure if you're just smoking for eating, or comp smoking. Somebody else will chime in, and maybe shed a litlle more light on the subject.

I just buy the ones that look pretty and have a good amount of meat.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky