Best Offset smoke <$1000.00 ???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

windycitygator

Original poster
Dec 5, 2016
Chicagoland
I'm looking to upgrade my Char-Griller for a bigger offset barrel smoker 24"x36" or 24"x42" but I can't afford what I want the Yoder Durango. Any suggestions of a quality smoker for under $1000.00, that's not a piece of crap? Thanks

You might find a small shop fabricator that could build you one for about that. You also might look through craigslist and eBay and such for a used offset. if you are looking for an offset for under a grand that is thicker metal than the average big box store offset you will be hard pressed to find one. Good luck finding one you want.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Reactions: Geos7812
Old Country smokers are very nice for the price. There is one here locally, on Craigslist, for $200 that I really want to buy. I just have no need for another off set smoker.

You might find a small shop fabricator that could build you one for about that. You also might look through craigslist and eBay and such for a used offset. if you are looking for an offset for under a grand that is thicker metal than the average big box store offset you will be hard pressed to find one. Good luck finding one you want.

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I was thinking about that. Thanks for validating that idea.

E64402B5-51B5-4D0F-A46F-0C4D81E217F9.jpeg
60603FBA-E71F-44C9-831E-48167FCF84BB.jpeg
E64402B5-51B5-4D0F-A46F-0C4D81E217F9.jpeg
Gator,

I had one made for me. Granted I got the pipe and wheels and axles given to me but the remainder cost about $700.
The local high school welding class worked on it for me. I told them what I wanted (after getting great info and measurements from here) and they did it for free. I did bring them some pulled pork of course and it took a year from start to finish but I have a great smoker that is way bigger than anything you will be able to get for under $1000.
Just don’t undersell yourself and any friends that might be willing and able to build you one.

View attachment 364114 View attachment 364115 View attachment 364114 Gator,

I had one made for me. Granted I got the pipe and wheels and axles given to me but the remainder cost about $700.
The local high school welding class worked on it for me. I told them what I wanted (after getting great info and measurements from here) and they did it for free. I did bring them some pulled pork of course and it took a year from start to finish but I have a great smoker that is way bigger than anything you will be able to get for under $1000.
Just don’t undersell yourself and any friends that might be willing and able to build you one.
That's a great idea, we have a high school around here that just might be interested in something like that.

Thanks for the tips and after much debate. I went with the option of asking my in-laws to pickup the tab. I just got it delivered. I went with the Old Country All American Angus Smoker, it's a big heavy beast. I gotta season it and fire it up this weekend.

Attachments

• IMG_20180904_151741032.jpg
    IMG_20180904_151741032.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 134
That's one sweet rig, I didn't know the In-law option was on the table, but hey that's a good option

I wish I had the In law option
Mine would laugh if I asked them to buy me a smoker :p

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky