Best electric smoker to buy

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
This sounds like a sweet smoker. But the reviews are horrible! Apparently, once again, Masterbuilt has released a new smoker before they get all the bugs and Chinese quality control issues worked out. Sad really...JJ

MES has a pellet smoker i see, i see a lot of people recommending the amnps so would it be just better to buy a pellet smoker?

Hi there and welcome!

The AMNPS burns pellets for perfect smoke for up to 12 hours without having to attend to it.
A pellet smoker will burn pellets for both heat and smoke... because it burns them to heat the smoker you get less smoker since higher temperatures produce less smoke.

They do two different things. The MES with the AMNPS is the best of both worlds with electric heat and then smoke from pellets independent of the heat AND you don't have to mess with either AND pellets are cheap for the amount you get AND a 40 pound bag of pellets for smokin from an AMNPS will last a LOOOONG time before you need more pellets for producing smoke.

I hope this clears things up on the AMNPS for producing smoke in an MES versus a pellet smoker :)

MES 40 Gen #2.5
What’s the manufacturer full model number on it.. it’s hard to just find it by generation .

MES 40 Gen #2.5
What’s the manufacturer full model number on it.. it’s hard to just find it by generation .

Model # 20070315
Going by Model Numbers is not always helpful.
However here's the back of my MES 40 Gen #2.5, with the Model # on it:

My MES Model#_3977 copy.jpg

It appears 20070315 has been discontinued. A search gave only parts available. However, it appears Model number 20076718 is the new designation available in a couple of places including Amazon...JJ

It appears that Model # 20075315 is generation 2.5. It also may being discontinued but is for sale at several other businesses at a much higher price. You don’t have to be a member of Sams Club to purchase this smoker but you will pay more of it.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
20075315 is a Mod 2 with the slanted dip pan and small water pan. While some folks had no issues, that model had a lot of problems. Bear can give more details...JJ

20075315 is a Mod 2 with the slanted dip pan and small water pan. While some folks had no issues, that model had a lot of problems. Bear can give more details...JJ
Have that unit. Works good completely gutted out, PID, and mailbox mod. Had trouble with all standard components, replacements did not take care of issues.

Reactions: tallbm
Excalibur! I'm not sure what the manual says but others mentioned the first setting on the independent chip/chunk burner is for chips and 2-5 is for chunks.

I have the setting on number 1 smoke and it catches my dry apple chips on fire.. i just use the AMNPS tube 12”

I have the setting on number 1 smoke and it catches my dry apple chips on fire.. i just use the AMNPS tube 12”
Wow, 1st setting flames chips. I like chunks better in my kamado so I guess if I'd try wood in your smoker a chunk would be my choice. You've got that solved with the tube. I use the tube in my kamado to cold smoke for a couple hours before finishing burgers, steaks and other grilled foods and the tray for the Mes.

Just to make sure the independent smoker box works over a cook since it's there and paid for. Pellets in a tube or maze is the way to go.

Yeah for sure!!

i did baby back ribs the other day
225 and monitoring with an inkbird
It keeps pretty good accurate temp
225-323 it ranges

i did 1.5-2.5-1 and sauced last 30 min

fall off the bone but the meat was a little dry

2.5 in foil packet with apple juice

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky