best butt yet!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

twistertail

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
Central Ohio
I've done maybe 15 butts over the last 2 years since I've found this site and bought my smoker. I've always wrapped in foil at 145 or so and then took it up to 205. Well the last one my wife said was a little greasy so I did one this weekend and decided to try it without wrapping in foil and it turned out AWSOME! I took it out 195 and it had AWSOME bark on it and there was hardly any fat in it when I pulled it. My wife is really picky about the fat so when I pull them I always pick out every last piece of fat, on this one there was maybe a fourth of the amount of fat as usual. Maybe it had less fat in it to begin with or maybe more of it cooked out, not sure but it was GREAT and I dont think I'll ever wrap one again. I was always a little nervous to try it without the foil but I'm sure glad I did. Heck who knows next time I might even try to rub musTURD on it before I put on my rub, even though I cant stand that stuff.

Glad it worked out for ya. Use the mustard to adhere the rub, it leaves absolutely no mustard taste that I can detect.

I agree with Wolf, you really can't taste any mustard.
I'm not a huge mustard fan either so I use Olive Oil instead and then rub, delicious!!

Must be something wrong with my PC.
I can't find the Qview on this one, and it sounds really good.
rolleyes.gif

BC

I usually don't foil till I pull it off at 195° - 200° and wrap with a little of whatever I spritz with and put in a cooler with towels until I am ready to pull it. This allows a lot more of the fat to render out and makes a good bark. Sometimes I use mustard sometimes I don't but I don't taste it in the finished pork and I love all types of mustard.

Sounds like you have it dialed in, where's the pics?
icon_mrgreen.gif

sorry for no pics AGAIN, but I assure you it did happen! Been eating pulled pork for 4 days straight and still loving it!

Remember the whole point of wrapping foil is to speed up the process and possibly shave 2 to 3 hours off your smoke.....sometimes more. I would atleast wait to 160 to 170º before I would foil. You see how you bark formed better when you did no foiling, the longer you can wait the better for the bark.

I like to foil my butts if I'm gonna pull themand if I'm gonna slice it I will lwave it alone and let the butt form a crust/bark. I like a good bark on my butt when I slice it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky