Belly Bacon start 1/28/16

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tropics

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 25, 2014
Attleboro,Ma
My local Super Market had a nice 3# piece of Belly for $3.69 lb. 

Skinned it and it weighed 3 lbs. exactly

use 1 1/2 oz. TQ with 3 Table spoons Brown sugar

Zip lock bag and now we wait.

Thanks for looking should be back in 2 weeks

Richie

Credits Bearcarver  http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/96761/smoked-bacon-step-by-step-with-qview

Thanks Buddy

Last edited:
Good start Richie, but that's about enough bacon for 1 breakfast!

Ask them if you can buy a whole belly.

Probably can get it cheaper.

Al

Good start Richie, but that's about enough bacon for 1 breakfast!

Ask them if you can buy a whole belly.

Probably can get it cheaper.

Al
I;ll have to have you talk to my Doc LOL

Richie

Good Start Richie!!
icon14.gif

That's not a bad price for a small piece, but a whole Belly might be cheaper, like Al said.

You can freeze most of it & only eat a little now & then.

Be Back.

popcorn.gif

Bear

Good Start Richie!!
icon14.gif

That's not a bad price for a small piece, but a whole Belly might be cheaper, like Al said.

You can freeze most of it & only eat a little now & then.

Be Back.

popcorn.gif

Bear
1/2 a belly, 1 belly? Man go big, 4-6 bellies at a time! That's how I roll!
This was the largest I have ever seen in that store,I am okay doing small piece now and then.Keeps me out of trouble. 

Richie

Watching this Richie.

I like doing small batches of stuff. Just makes you smoke more often.

I'd KILL (a pig) for even a 3lb piece of belly AT ANY PRICE!!!! Belly not to be found here. I actually had a butcher laugh when I asked!!!!! One place had side meat. Asked if I could get it before they sliced it. Emphatic "no". I just don't understand. Same place last year sold butts for $.99/lb on sale.
Phil do you have any Sams club or CosCo? if so ask their butcher.

Richie 

I'll be watching as well. Gotta get my hands on some TQ to try a dry cure! I do love pop's bacon though so it's hard to change
Sounds like you have cure #1, why not use Digging Dog Farms cure calculator and do a dry rub cure? I prefer using cure #1 over TQ.
I agree.... 

If you have a grams scale, dry rubbed belly ~1.4 grams per pound is the max. allowable of cure #1...  mix it with your salt and sugar etc. and uniformly rub it on the belly...   You can adjust the salt and sugar to your personal preference...  I use 2% salt and 1% sugar...  works for me...

Sounds like you have cure #1, why not use Digging Dog Farms cure calculator and do a dry rub cure? I prefer using cure #1 over TQ.

I agree.... 

If you have a grams scale, dry rubbed belly ~1.4 grams per pound is the max. allowable of cure #1...  mix it with your salt and sugar etc. and uniformly rub it on the belly...   You can adjust the salt and sugar to your personal preference...  I use 2% salt and 1% sugar...  works for me...
I will definitely try it out.  Actually picked up a scale a few weeks ago on clearance. Any advice on testing its accuracy?  The dry cure is going to have to wait a while because I am stocked up on bacon but in the meantime I can check that my scale is in working order.

I have a 0-500 grams scale.... I wish I would have picked up a 0-100 grams... 

American dime weighs...2.3 grams....   nickel weighs....  4.9 grams....   quarter weighs....5.7 grams...  all together weighs 12.9 grams....

Something like this would be great...  they have calibration weights available too...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky