Bell Fabrications Smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Okie Jase

Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
After years of using charcoal smokers I finally pulled the trigger and decided to go with a good backyard offset smoker. After thorough research I was just about to buy a 20" Horizon when I stumbled across a YouTube video that mentioned a pit builder based out of Tulsa, OK. I live in Oklahoma so being able to pick up my pit from the manufacturer saves me hundreds of dollars in shipping costs. I immediately found the website and spoke with the owner, Craig Bell, who is super nice. I told him what I wanted and he put me on the waiting list (8-10 weeks). I'm getting a 24" x 48" with a 24" firebox, all 3/8" thick fully welded steel for $1200. That's a steal compared to any competitor (that only uses 1/4" steel mind you) who's rigs cost 3 to 4 times more for a comparable size. The pics I uploaded are just stock photos. I'm having mine built with a single cook chamber door with counterweight and wood rack below. Does anyone else here own a Bell Fab that can give some input? 8 weeks can't com
1631220096044.gif
1631220096111.gif
1631220096044.gif
1631220096044.gif
1631220096111.gif
e soon enough and I'll update you guys with pics of the finished product.
fetch
1631220096044.gif
fetch
1631220096111.gif

How hard is it to move that thing around? I imagine it's not going to be easy to load it on on trailer and then move it to my back patio.
Weighs 1000lbs so even with the 4 wheels it ain't easy. Moving it in grass is impossible. Have to use a winch to get it up on a trailer. Displaced Texan Displaced Texan has one with the dimensions you ordered. His is lighter and has 2 wheels. Maybe he will chime in

When I bought my current offset, Bell was on my short list, very nice smokers and very nice people. When you get my age, you'll appreciate the double doors on the cook chamber, but the counter weights will help...:emoji_wink:

Mine is 24x48 weighing in at 750 pounds. It is a beast to move, but the t bar makes it easier with leverage. I move it from my garage to driveway, so it's a short trip each time.

I went with one door, but Craig talked me in to 2 doors. I don't remember why, but I think 2 is better than 1. He also triangulated my exhaust.

He is not a fan of a door on the side of the firebox, and you don't really need it. I would ask to make sure he grinds the ash dump and grease drain flush with the bottom of the pit.

He is very accommodating. Can't wait to see yours.

Click the pic for a larger version.

IMG_8842.JPG

Oh, I also saw on Craig's FB page, he will even hinge the front shelf for you if you want. Probably good for storage. Anyway, like I said, he is very accommodating.

He only charged me $50 to make the exhaust the triangular shape. Truth be told, I think I got caught up in the Franklin videos and seeing other pits like that. This thing has great draw and convection. The normal round exhaust will definitely suffice.

Mine is 24x48 weighing in at 750 pounds. It is a beast to move, but the t bar makes it easier with leverage. I move it from my garage to driveway, so it's a short trip each time.

I went with one door, but Craig talked me in to 2 doors. I don't remember why, but I think 2 is better than 1. He also triangulated my exhaust.

He is not a fan of a door on the side of the firebox, and you don't really need it. I would ask to make sure he grinds the ash dump and grease drain flush with the bottom of the pit.

He is very accommodating. Can't wait to see yours.

Click the pic for a larger version.

View attachment 510156
I think I’d ask him to make the firebox a little bigger also so you can use longer pieces of wood for a longer burn.

Yeah, mine is 20" long. It cooks so well with great convection already. I think a bigger firebox would not add anything to this pit.

But, if the OP agrees, he can, by all means, ask Craig his thoughts on it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky