Belated Holiday Stollen-like Bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noboundaries

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 7, 2013
Roseville, CA, a suburb of Sacramento
My wife is of German ancestry so we usually have stollen around Christmas. 2020 was such a weird year, though, that we did not find stollen where we normally shop. I decided to make some instead, a first for me.

After researching a BUNCH of online recipes, I found one that was fairly easy that I could adapt to my preferences. The only thing I'd do different next time is a double fold to increase the vertical rise (made that change in the recipe). Still, the flavors were delicious. Soooo much better than what we've purchased in the past.

20210125_181109.jpg

20210126_084019.jpg

German Stollen-like Bread - Adapted

Makes two BIG loaves, or three normal loaves.

For the Almond Paste (can make days ahead to save time on baking day)
Prep time 10 mins.

5 oz almond flour, fine grind
5 oz powdered sugar
1 oz honey
1 oz corn syrup
1 tsp almond extract
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 ½ Tbs water (a little more if needed)
Directions
Place almond flour and powdered sugar in a food processor.
In a separate bowl, add honey, corn syrup, water, almond and vanilla extracts. Heat in the microwave on 50% power until blended, about 1 minute.
Turn on processor to mix the flour and sugar.
Slowly add the wet ingredients and continue to blend until a ball forms.
Cover a surface with cling wrap. Add the ball of paste. Smooth with hands. Wrap and chill or freeze until ready to use.
Makes 12 oz of paste

For the Fruit (make 3-5 days ahead of baking time)
Prep time 2 mins

The true recipe calls for lots of different candied fruits. I don't like those so I keep it simple.
9-10 ounces golden raisins, or
Half golden raisins / half dried cranberries
1/3 cup spiced rum

Mix the two in a bowl, stir well, cover, and keep in the fridge. Stir a couple times a day until the rum is absorbed

Ingredients for the Dough:
1 cup whole milk heated to 100F
3 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup granulated sugar + 2 Tbs
4 cups all-purpose flour
1 large egg, room temp
2 large egg yolks, room temp
3/4 cup butter (1 1/2 sticks) room temp
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
zest of one large naval orange
3/4 tsp ground ginger
3/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon

For the Glaze & Dusting:
1 stick butter, melted
powdered sugar for generous dusting

Instructions for the Stollen
Total time 3.5 hours

Stir the yeast and 2 tablespoons of the sugar into the lukewarm milk and let sit for 5 minutes until very frothy.

Place the flour, remaining sugar, egg, egg yolks, butter, vanilla extract, orange zest, and spices in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook. Add the yeast/milk mixture. Start slow, then knead the dough on the medium-fast setting for 7-8 minutes until the gluten devlops and a dough ball forms. It will clean the sides and bottom of the bowl. May need to hold down the mixer as it can walk as the gluten forms and the ball flops around the bowl.

Remove the dough ball, lightly spray the bowl with a little oil, return the dough ball, cover loosely with plastic wrap and place it in a warm place to rise until nearly doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Punch down the dough and add the rum-soaked fruit to the dough.

Using the dough hook, knead the fruit mixture into the dough until combined.

Turn the dough out onto a floured work surface, press into a rectangle, and cut it in two or three equal parts. Press or roll each piece into an oval to about 1 inch thickness.

Divide the almond paste into two or three equal-sized pieces. Roll each piece of paste with your hands into a log the length of the dough ovals.

Press the paste gently into the middle of the dough. Fold the left side of the dough over to cover the paste, then fold right side over on top of the left side. This is the baby Jesus in a blanket.

Pinch the seams closed. Lightly wet a baking sheet. Add a piece of parchment paper, and press the paper into the pan. Trim the excess paper with a sharp knife.

Place the stollen on the lined baking sheet. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let them rest in a warm place for 40-60 minutes until rounded.

Towards the end of the last rise, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake the stollen for 30-45 minutes until golden brown and internal temperature of 190 degrees F.

Let the Stollen sit for 5 minutes, then use a probe to poke holes all over the stollen (this will allow the butter to seep in), then generously brush the stollen with the melted butter while the stollen are still warm. Immediately sprinkle with a generous amount of powdered sugar.

Let the stollen cool completely. Wrap tightly in cling wrap then foil. Set on the counter overnight. Store in a cool place or refrigerator. Can be frozen for future use.

Recipe and content adapted from © The Daring Gourmet | www.DaringGourmet.com

Looks great. Keeping the fruit simple is a good idea. Sometimes the excess fruit can be overwhelming in flavor. 🍻
Yep. Candied fruit and citrus peel, mostly lemon, seem to be what authentic stollen uses. Cardamon, too. Don't care for any of those. The spices I used and the orange zest worked well together.

Reactions: Wurstmeister
Looks and sounds great! I agree with the Commercial Candied Fruit being less that optimal. You adaptation works for me. I have a recipe, some where, from a Baking Instructor at the CIA that takes about a Month of preparation to gather and macerate the fruits with assorted Spirits. Taste great but A LOT of work...JJ

Looks and sounds great! I agree with the Commercial Candied Fruit being less that optimal. You adaptation works for me. I have a recipe, some where, from a Baking Instructor at the CIA that takes about a Month of preparation to gather and macerate the fruits with assorted Spirits. Taste great but A LOT of work...JJ
Thanks, JJ. I saw plenty of recipes like the one you described. I wanted one I could start and finish in one day. Well, best laid plans, yada, yada. The paste and raisins/rum actually sat wrapped in the fridge for about a week due to issues here at home. The original recipe indicated the raisins would soak up the rum in a short time. Nope. Took at least three days in the fridge.

We've only eaten stollen made commercially. What a difference making it at home.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky