Beginner drowing in a sea of information and seeking advise

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zelix

Original poster
Nov 27, 2012
What would you consider the easiest and best recipe to start out with?  I understand that there is a search engine and I will do the leg work. I was hoping for advise from you pros so I can narrow the search.

I'm just beginning to get into sausage making. I have a sausage stuffer coming for Christmas. I own a grinder. I was wondering what would be the best and easiest type to pull off first. At first glance It would seem that Brats would be a good kicking off point. Then maybe graduate to some smoked country sausage. Am I wrong?

Can I thaw out some deer hamburger to use in this or is that a big "no-no?"

BTW: I've made some fresh patty sausage (Jimmy Dean clone). I'm looking at jumping into the stuffing world.

Thanks in advance.

I would go for Brats. They are fairly easy and taste great. Id order a kit for first attempt. I used the cabelas beer brat kit for my first time. I did not use the casings that came in the kit though. I followed the recipee but added 1 cup Soy protien powder per 5 lbs. of meat. I also added some diced jalepeno and some high temp pepperjack cheese.

Last edited:
Reactions: shannon127
Ya can't go wrong with the suggestions above. All great "beginner" sausages. I will add that Summer Sausage uses a cure, such as insta-cure #1, which raises the difficulty slightly (IMO). 

Last edited:
I would go for Brats. They are fairly easy and taste great. Id order a kit for first attempt. I used the cabelas beer brat kit for my first time. I did not use the casings that came in the kit though. I followed the recipee but added 1 cup Soy protien powder per 5 lbs. of meat. I also added some diced jalepeno and some high temp pepperjack cheese.
Thanks for the reply. I'll look up the kits.
Brats and Italian Sausage are as easy as it gets for Fresh, un-cured sausage. If you chose to do so, they require Hot Smoking at 225*F to an internal temp (IT) of 165*F. Then if/when you are ready to try a Cured Smoked Sausage, this recipe from Shannon is simple, detailed and Awesome...JJ

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/129813/kielbasa-start-to-finish-for-chef-jimmy
Thanks I have that opened in another tab checking it out. I might go for that on the second batch I do.
Brats or summer sausage are good starters
Thanks for the reply. I've not eaten mush summer sausage so I'll go with the brats.
Ya can't go wrong with the suggestions above. All great "beginner" sausages. I will add that Summer Sausage uses a cure, such as insta-cure #1, which raises the difficulty slightly (IMO). 
I looked up on amazon and see they carry the cure #1. I will put it in my wish list. Hopefully I'll get some for christmas.

So it's going to be brats. Time to research brats and get as much info as I can so that I don't kill anyone with improperly made finished products...LOL

Thanks for the replies.

Actually, you could get a start before your Christmas present arrives.

Plain old bulk breakfast or Italian sausage would get you into grinding and mixing.

Good luck and good smoking.

give me a shout if ya want good easy instructions for making summer sausage in your oven .I have a system i have been working on for a few yrs and everyone that tries it says its alot better than bought

I always make a recipe and then modify if I think it needs it.  It is good to see what the base is first.  So starting w/ some breakfast sausage or the Italian is a good idea.  I actually made andouille for my first batch.  

Use the fry test.  Once you have ground and mixed up the spices then fry a piece. You can get an idea of what it will be like but remember the flavor will change over time or mellow out.
Can I thaw out some deer hamburger to use in this or is that a big "no-no?"
Do it.   I have no problem adding left over meat in the freezer.  Better than wasting it IMO.  It may change the flavor some but as long as it is for you/family to eat that I guess it is OK.  

As for ordering your sausage making "stuff"  I use www.butcherpacker.com and have always had a good experience.  

You are going to enjoy the stuffer.  I have had one now for about a year and use it all the time.  

Hope this helps and good luck!

Aaron

Actually, you could get a start before your Christmas present arrives.

Plain old bulk breakfast or Italian sausage would get you into grinding and mixing.

Good idea. I've made a batch of jimmy dean clone. It was excellent. I might have to run a batch to get even more hyped up about it all. LOL
give me a shout if ya want good easy instructions for making summer sausage in your oven .I have a system i have been working on for a few yrs and everyone that tries it says its alot better than bought
I'd love that. I'm still hoping to get one more deer this season. I'll love to make some summer sausage to bring out around the campfire and share. It'd elevate my status greatly to be known as a the guy that brought the goods.
I always make a recipe and then modify if I think it needs it.  It is good to see what the base is first.  So starting w/ some breakfast sausage or the Italian is a good idea.  I actually made andouille for my first batch.  

Use the fry test.  Once you have ground and mixed up the spices then fry a piece. You can get an idea of what it will be like but remember the flavor will change over time or mellow out.

Do it.   I have no problem adding left over meat in the freezer.  Better than wasting it IMO.  It may change the flavor some but as long as it is for you/family to eat that I guess it is OK.  

As for ordering your sausage making "stuff"  I use www.butcherpacker.com and have always had a good experience.  

You are going to enjoy the stuffer.  I have had one now for about a year and use it all the time.  

Hope this helps and good luck!

Aaron
Thanks. I have a bunch of deer meat that I ground into burger this fall. I'll use a bit of it to make some sausage then! I'm getting more excited by the day waiting for the present opening to happen. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Thanks again fro the replies. I'm getting more confident with the knowledge I'm picking up here.

here's the stuffer I got. I peeked in the box. It seems okay.

5 - lb. Stainless Steel Sausage Stuffer

It isn't the best quality but for a beginner I guess it will be okay.

I've been reading up and learning so much . I decided to jump out and order up some stuff.

I have purchased these items:

Eastman Outdoors 38672 Natural Hog Casings, for 25-Pounds of Sausage

Eastman Outdoors 38661 Variety Sausage Seasonings and Cures Kit, with Casings, for 15-Pounds of Meat

Hopefully I'll be making sausage on Christmas day.

Check your local butcher and grocery stores (especially ethnic grocers) for casings. I pay $5 for enough hog casings to stuff 30-40 lbs. of meat at the local Meat Farms. Also, Sausagemaker.com has some great kits and seasonings plus free shipping.

We were all in the same spot as you at one time. Once you get that first batch stuffed and cooked, it all comes together and you'll be planning your next batch.

I would almost, almost, bet you got your Jimmy Dean clone recipe from Len Poli's site. 

I have taken that recipe and modified it to my own taste, and my neighbors love it.

I patty it up with a patty maker, freeze it on trays, and then vacu pack it.

I have trouble keeping it in my freezer.

My neighbors are very tolerant of my smoking here in Cali-Eco-Land. 

It seems my bribery with non-smoked items will swing even the Cali-Commies to my side! 
biggrin.gif

Check your local butcher and grocery stores (especially ethnic grocers) for casings. I pay $5 for enough hog casings to stuff 30-40 lbs. of meat at the local Meat Farms. Also, Sausagemaker.com has some great kits and seasonings plus free shipping.

We were all in the same spot as you at one time. Once you get that first batch stuffed and cooked, it all comes together and you'll be planning your next batch.

X2...I get a Hank for $16.00 which will do 125-140lbs of Sausage.  The best part is it usually is only 5 strands, so no need for constant reloading

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky