beercanchix w/qview

Discussion in 'Poultry' started by motorhedd, Aug 22, 2008.

1. motorhedd

motorhedd Meat Mopper SMF Premier Member

Hey SMF
    My first beercan(cokecan)chix

let ya know how they come out

2. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Lookin great so far!!
    Love your barn.[​IMG]

3. ezmoney

ezmoney Meat Mopper

GA
    Excellent work so far...more pics.....more pics of the Barn too!!!

4. desertlites

desertlites Master of the Pit OTBS Member

nice job on the birds!I also like old buildings

5. cman95

cman95 Master of the Pit SMF Premier Member

Nice yard birds!![​IMG]

6. waysideranch

waysideranch Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Ditto...........................

7. motorhedd

OK,company came and bird 1 flew the coop but got this one before they got it...

...brined em for 6 hours and did a simple brown sugar and cinnamon rub with apple cider in the can for 1 and a lemon pepper rub with lemon juice in the can for the 2nd one.used cherry for the smoking and wow!
    For sure a fan of brining now!
    Thanx for looking and in the future will do a few pix on the farm.It was a working dairy up until 4 years ago now just hay.

8. smoknrookie

smoknrookie Fire Starter

You said that you brined the chix first.. what exactly did you brine them in? Was it just a salt water solution or what? I have nver used the brining method , was just curious..

9. motorhedd

1 gal water,i cup of kosher salt,lemon juce,pepper,garlic for 6 hours....you wont be sorry

10. motorhedd

PS on the left side Jeff has a good how to on brining cheers

11. jlhog

jlhog Smoke Blower

Ya makin me miss my birds. Couple years ago we had a nice flock oh hens and ond old BA roosetr. Moved into the fancy neighboorhood and had to find new famalies fer them, I sure do miss getting the eggs from the hen house each day, Lef me see I can get apic on here before I become toast. Little whiskey and ambeince and my fingers are not going where I want,, Here is one of out Rooster,
    This be SPIKE.

The Ladies

Me with another female and I cant remember her name!!!

12. motorhedd

Spike is KING of the roost lol good lookin bird!

13. jlhog

jlhog Smoke Blower

He was good lookin fer sure, but a PIA he coulde be, Not very people friendly like the ladies.

14. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

That is a good recipe.[​IMG]

15. mcp9

mcp9 Meat Mopper

hey motorhedd- i like that charcoal basket. kinda in the market for one, and we have the same smoker. u buy it somewhere or make it yerself?

16. motorhedd

That my friend is a charbroil veggie basket that i got at lowes.I snipped the ends,added the stainless n/b/w and voila charcoal basket!Can,t take the credit tho....found it on the forums.The credit goes to Bishop916 the thread is here: http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...t=21614&page=2

Hope that helps ya!
    Cheers[​IMG]

17. smok'n steve

smok'n steve Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I have used a really similar brine on chicken parts with great success, how ever, I never brine my birds simply cause we have been real happy with beercan style results, but tomorrow, I am gonna do 4 beerbuttbirds with your brine!!!

Looks great:)

18. motorhedd

Thanx Steve,I was surprised at the results.Had been doing alot of reading on it and took the plunge!BTW did I mention I was jealous of yer pile of "mystery" wood LOL
    Lemme know how yer chix come out!PS The lemon juice is 1 cup...fergot to mention that

19. smok'n steve

smok'n steve Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Thanks:) If somebody just tells me what that wood is, I'd believe em--LOL

1 cup of LJ-got it!

STEVE

20. dingle

dingle Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Looks great MH. I'm going to try brining the bird next time. Just a suggestion for you, next time plug the hole on top of the bird with a potato, onion, jalapeno or something to keep the steam inside the bird.