BEER CAN CHICKEN w/ QVIEW

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ryans

Original poster
Jan 28, 2008
So I Tried Beer Can Chicken For The First Time This Weekend. Thanks To The Other Posts On This, They Really Helped Out.
I Started Out With A 5.23lb Bird. Rubbed On A Pork And Poultry Spice Mix From A Local Butcher. And Stuffed An Onion In The Neck. I Poured Out Half The Beer Into A Pie Pan And Some Onion Peels Also, THEN Used This As The Catch Pan. Close To The End Of Cooking I Used This To Baste The Chicken.
Set The Grill Up For Indirect Grilling And Used A Chunk Of Hickory For Smoke. The Hickory Smoked For About A Hour And Total Cooking Time Was About 2 Hours At 300 Deg.
For Some Reason The Skin Split But The Chicken Was Still Juicy.
I'm Usually Not A Fan Of Dark Meat But The Dark Meat Was The Best Part!
Well Here Are The Pics, Let Me Know What You Think.
d9214799_vbattach22221.jpg

ee9e16a3_vbattach22222.jpg

9692260e_vbattach22223.jpg

aa4e6755_vbattach22224.jpg

I thought you were gonna fix 'ol fireball? Cool name, I wanted to call mine that after I heard it. But, I have to come up with something original.

Ryan, looks great. I never cared much for the dark meat either until I started smoking chicken. And the breast meat is so moist too, it's hard to know where to start.

First... your bird looks great! Just curious though... why do the indirect grilling method when you have a firebox? Why not just smoke it like normal?

Congrats on a great smoke, that bird is the word. Thanks for sharing the Q View.

Bird looked great Ryan! And nice avatar, who doesn't love The Simpsons?
Most likely the skin split just from a higher temperature on the bird.
Better to cook at the higher temp and have a bit of split skin rather than the rubbery skin if you plan on eating it. Even if you didn't eat the skin she sure was a pretty bird.

thanks to everybody on the compliments. sorry i havent responded sooner, car trouble.
Smoke_chef, i did indirect because i didnt want to smoke all day (i know, shame shame. haha!) however, the chunk of hickory smoked for an hour and i thought that was long enough.
again, thanks to the other posts i found on this, they really helped.

Congrats on your first beer can chicken, the flavor is worth the wait. Thanks for sharing the Q View.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky