Beer Can Chicken using other than Beer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Jersey Jimbo

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 26, 2020
At the Shore
I got one of the beer can chicken holders, did a chicken with some beer. Used a 1/3c can added spices and did the rub on the chicken basted 2 times. It came out real good. My question can you use soda, wine, apple juice in the can instead, and do you still add the spices to the other liquids. hate to waste a good chicken to a not so good outcome.

Ive used sodas before. Basically its just a method to add moisture to the bird. Heck I've even used a empty beer can with some spice and stuff in plain ole water. I'm not much on wasting good beer! :emoji_laughing: :emoji_wink:
Jim
that's what I was wondering. Thanks will try different liquids, just will add spices to the liquid I am using at the time.

Reactions: JLeonard
I’ve used Dr Pepper, Pepsi, cherry Pepsi, I’ve even used the stand empty since I don’t usually have Beerbohm hand. Honestly I’ve noticed no difference. The only reason I use the stand icer spatchcock chicken is to save space on the grill!

Here is my method.
1) Grab beer can, and drink the entire contents while I inject and apply rub to the chicken.
2) Fill beer can with water, insert into bird, and place onto holder.
3) Place bird into my Weber that's running around 375-400 degrees.
4) Drink some more beer while waiting on the bird to cook.

I'd rather inject the bird to add flavor, and moisture.

My humble opinion of course.

Dave

I got one of the beer can chicken holders, did a chicken with some beer. Used a 1/3c can added spices and did the rub on the chicken basted 2 times. It came out real good. My question can you use soda, wine, apple juice in the can instead, and do you still add the spices to the other liquids. hate to waste a good chicken to a not so good outcome.
I do this often as well. I find it to be more of a steaming method with a touch of flavoring, so most any liquid would work. Also found, plugging the whole on top at the neck with any type of vegetable or a small ball of aluminum foil helps to trap in most of that steam. Normally add hot sauce, soy sauce, just about any range of flavored liquid I have in the fridge. Sometimes shoot it up a few hours prior to cook for even more flavor. Haven't met a person yet that didn't enjoy a moist piece of beer can chicken. Got me hungry for beer can chicken now.

Reactions: SmokyMose
I've tried many different liquids and honestly can't tell the difference between them and water especially if the bird is rubbed. For added flavor as well as moisture, I inject and rub like others do...

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Have done BCC many ways including just using the holder and no can. If cooked correctly I find it really hard to say there's any noticeable difference. Possibly a bit more moisture but hard to quantify. What does take it to the next level is brining the bird for 4 hours and then letting it dry on a rack in the fridge for 4 more hours before cooking. See recipe below...

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
I do this often as well. I find it to be more of a steaming method with a touch of flavoring, so most any liquid would work. Also found, plugging the whole on top at the neck with any type of vegetable or a small ball of aluminum foil helps to trap in most of that steam. Normally add hot sauce, soy sauce, just about any range of flavored liquid I have in the fridge. Sometimes shoot it up a few hours prior to cook for even more flavor. Haven't met a person yet that didn't enjoy a moist piece of beer can chicken. Got me hungry for beer can chicken now.
Yeah, this thread convinced me to buy a chicken this morning for tomorrow....
:-)

Beer can just happens to be the correct size to stuff a chickens cavity with and stand it up. The cooking technique is about Steam to help maintain moisture and not about flavor. If a Steaming Liquid could impart a significant amount of flavor, you would be able to put a pan of Liquid Smoke and Apple Juice in your Oven with a Pork Butt and get Competition Quality Pulled Pork in a couple of hours!
You can put whatever you wish in the can, there will be little flavor impact. If you want Beer, Soda, Apple Juice, Bourbon or Red Wine flavored Chicken, Inject the flavorful liquid and Drink the Beer.☺...JJ

Reactions: Cajun Smokes
I've tried many different liquids and honestly can't tell the difference between them and water especially if the bird is rubbed. For added flavor as well as moisture, I inject and rub like others do...
I read a long article someone posted on here about how beer can ckn was BS and the can of beer did absolutely nothing for it and if anything hurt it and yada yada yada. Well I did 2 side by side. One can of beer and one can of water. And my wife and both could instantly tell which one was done with water. Both had the exact same amount of minimal seasoning just salt and pepper but the chicken that had the water definitely tasted like a boiled chicken. Very very bland when done side by side with one done with a beer. And I had her taste both without knowing which was which. Dont know if beer type matter but I drink Miller Lite...

Reactions: Cajun Smokes
thanks for all the replies. I did do one with Dr. Pepper, added some spices, put rub on the chicken, lifted the skin to get it underneath the skin. I injected with apple cider and chicken stock mix. It was very tasty and moist. I did crank up the smoker to 375 for the last 15 mins to crisp up the skin. Thanks for all your options and advise on the different ways to do it. I enjoy trying different ways and when I get the one the family enjoys the most that's the winner for that cook. But I also did some that was brutal, Happy smokin everybody

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky