Beer can breasts with other goodies

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sumosmoke

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Dec 29, 2007
New Smyrna Beach, FL
I've been looking forward to this weekend for many reasons and the #1 primary reason was because it was a legitimate excuse to break out the smoker!! In the quest to put some new smokes under my belt, I will be completing the trifeca of new sumo-que smokes today.

Here is a list of the three items that I'm smoking for the first time, one of them being an experiement ....

1. Was so bummed about the Pens losing last night I had to smoke a fattie .... it's 2lb Tennessee Pride mild sausage filled with a mexican cheese blend, green and yellow bell peppers, and scrambled eggs.

2. Zellwood, FL is harvesting it's annual crop of corn and it's always a treat! Wanted to try Jeff's smoked corn recipe so gave it a go with some white and bi-colored corn.

3. Finally, my experiment. There have been many posts about trying to smoke chicken breasts and keeping them moist. I wanted to see if I could wrap two chicken breasts around a beer can, wrap with bacon, and see if that kept them moist!

I bought two decent size bone-in, unsplit, chix breasts, brined them using Travcoman45's brine recipe (I didn't inject them), and trussed them up using butcher twine, to the beer-can holder. Needed to prop up both of the breasts with some vidalia onion halves, but it still was kinda sloppy. Used toothpicks to hold some country style cut bacon in place and with that, on top of the skin, will hopefully keep that stuff moist.

Lots of pics, will add them in a couple posts.

Here are some pics of my first fattie. Thought I needed to smoke something after the Pens pitiful loss last night ... The guts are made of green and yellow peppers, mexican blend of cheese, and scrambled eggs.

Fresh yellow and green peppers from the local farmers market:

Fattie ready to be rolled up:

Rolled fattie:

Tha chicken sounds real good. Be interested to see the q-view of that. Another great idea from smf! Thanks Laurel

Used Jeff's recipe for smoked corn on the cob and am hoping it turns out well. Here are some pics of the process he wrote out in the link:

Pulled back husks of fresh corn on the cob, removed silks, and dunked in water for 2+ hours:

Mixture of extra virgin olive oil and equal parts sea salt and cracked black pepper:

Ears of corn on the smoker rubbed down with the evoo/salt/pepper mix, and had butter brushed over the corn and husks:

Cook time is approximately 2 hours.

Here's my experiment smoke with two chicken breasts wrapped (or tried to have wrapped) around a beer can. Brined them for 10 hours with Travcoman45's brine recipe and wrapped slices of country slice bacon around them.

The beer can has a mixture of 1/2 budwiser beer, equal parts soy sauce and teriyaki sauce, and 2 tsp of cajun seasoning.

Good sized breasts

Brine ingredients

Breasts in brine

Breasts out of brine and butcher twine pierced through ribs

Beer can ingredients

Trussed up breasts

Shot of fattie and chicken breasts on the smoker

Enough q-vue yet??? The stuff is still on the smoker and I anticipate it will be off in the next couple hours. Taking the chicken breasts to 165 internal and the fattie to 170 internal. The corn will be done when all of the meats are done and I'll definitely post pics of the finished products.

Wood used was hickory (that's all I ever use)
Lump hardwood charcoal used to maintain 225 degree internal smoker temp

lol ... I know, I know .. I'm glad I said it was an "experiment". I do think I could've made slits in the side of the beer can and only filled it half full ... always thinking of a way to improve this idea cause I think it can work !!

Laurel.......I'm a sucker for creativity....so, POINTS for trying something "off-the-wall".....am waiting impatiently for the final qview......
biggrin.gif

L8r,
Eric

This was a fun experiment and although the corn on the cob failed today's smoke (I let it go too long, got too dry) it was a really fun smoke!

The chicken breasts turned out really well and I'll never smoke a piece of poultry without brining it first. Makes the meat taste yummy and not gamey at all. The fattie turned out a bit dry as it went as long as the chickens did. If it were more moist, I may be a fan, but for now it's a bit too rich for me.

Made a chicken and bacon sammie out of the chickens and whipped up a quick buttermilk skillet cornbread to replace the lost corn on the cob. Overall, I think the experiment with the beer can between the two breasts, was successful!

Here are some pics:

Breasts pulled from smoker

Another shot of breasts from smoker

Fattie ready for foil nap

Sliced Fattie

Buttermilk skillet cornbread

Sliced chicken breast

Smoked chicken and bacon sammie

Final plate of food - and no I didn't eat it all!

Great post sumo! I'm throwin you some points for the originality of the chicken breast/beer can thing ya got rigged up! Fatty looks great!

All looked real good, I noticed the Mag Light in one pick. Are you gonna try a chicken breast pole next? lol. When we roast corn we soak withe the husks on and silk its easy to get out after cooking. The whole idea is to get water between the layers of husks to create steam when roasting beacuse the kernals themselves are not absorbant I am still working on my big grate corn roaster but I have time the seed isn't even in the ground yet. good job and original. Thanks for the Q-View

Thanks for all the props received so far. I'm glad my breast experiment worked
eek.gif
and will be making mods to the process in the future. I'm sure laying the breasts down flat on the smoker would do well too however I'm always looking for something different
biggrin.gif

Will be doing two full size birds tomorrow, they're in the brine now. Those will definitely stand up better on the beer can holder!

Great idea with the chicken. Did hubby like your breasts smoked?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky