Been picking your brains about a month now.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

bayl778

Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I found this site about a month ago. You have been very helpful. THANKS!

I started smoking about a year ago to give me something to do while recovering from shoulder surgery. Only need one hand to smoke, but I learned that getting a 12# hot picnic of the cooker is a challenge with one hand. Got both hands back now and and its much easier.I bought  the Brinkman vertical water smoker and went threw the typical learning curve and modifications to get control and time with heat in the cooker. I've done spare ribs , baby backs, brisket, pork shoulder, chicken, chuck roast, fatties, whole brined turkey. I messed up my first ribs really bad ( too hot and to long) but since then , following advice  from forums like this the results have been great food. Have not done a full packer yet but saw them at Walmart this week and it will be my next cook maybe with beef tongue (was at walmart also).  I am looking for opinions on tongue.

I got started with beef tongue back in the 60's when it was 30 cents a pound and I could boil one up and have sandwich meat for a week on a $1. Heart also but the tongue was easier.  My wifes not happy about  tongue, liver, heart, etc. I used to eat that stuff because it was inexpensive and I was broke, but I still like it.  I have not seen heart in the markets.

Anybody got a recipe for  beef heart? Tongue?

Welcome to the Family friend and beef tongue is a tasty treat. I Boil for an hour , take off the outer skin and then it's on. Smoke it then slice and fry. Grill it,, bake it after slicing. My mom used to cook it and then slice it real thin and bake it in fresh bread. We boys called it tongue loaf. I sure miss Mom.

Welcome aboard!  I'm sure as piney has already posted, you could find information on just about anything smoked here on SMF.  Keep us posted with some Qview.

icon_cool.gif

First off Welcome Bay to SMF. you'll like it here for there are alot of really good folks here that would just love to help you with just about anything to do with smoking. Now there are alot of proven recipes for some amazing things here too. So if you need sign up for the E-Course it's free and it will give you the basics of smoking and some good methods to use also. So the next big thing for you to do is go out and get you something to smoke and if you happen to have any questions just post it here and we will be happy to answer them for you.

Welcome To Your New Addiction      

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky