Beef... Whole- Half- Quarter

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
My mouth is watering just reading down your list.

Is this a Half or Whole?
I followed the cut sheet I posted the link to ^^, and it's for a side of beef.

Now, here is something else to think about, requesting the left side of beef. Not sure if you've heard this bedtime story, here it is....It is generally accepted that steers lay on their left side more than on their right side. This means that they use their right leg to push up with more often than their left leg, which means that the right brisket, shoulder etc., gets more of a workout than the left brisket, and should be tougher.

Question:
When a person orders a Half who gets the tenderloin, tongue, and other one-offs?

Question:
When a person orders a Half who gets the tenderloin, tongue, and other one-offs?

There are two tenderloins per steer, they are the "inside loins" inside the cavity. I think there is such a low request for things like the tongue or heart, they have enough to give you one if you want it.

You wouldn't be pulling my leg now...

It's an old barbecue guy story :emoji_wink:. At the bottom of this brisket collage is the way to tell a righty from a lefty when you are picking out a brisket.

YJX0bwS.jpg

My mouth is watering just reading down your list.

Is this a Half or Whole?
Do you live in Clayton by chance? Great place to live and grow up, not so great these days with all the yuppies that bought up 80% of the cattle ranches and decided a country club would be a good thing to build over some of the most amazing cattle ranch land in northern CA.
I was born and raised there and still live 5 minutes away from my folks and their original home.
Not one of the ranchers I know eat their own beefs these days with the money they can make off of them. They all buy their meat at Costco these days which is a complete shame and a true sign of the times. I grew up on grass fed or as we called them back in the day "free roam beefs" that were penned and fattened up on grain mainly rice, oats and corn the last 6 months of their life....they were great eating some very GOOD beefs that didn't taste like anything you can buy in a store anywhere around here at least!!!

Reactions: Will Squared
Hope you have been able to figure this out. But as said the prices are way high even for organic product in my area. Just order a hind quarter for $3.89 lb cut wrapped and frozen and cut to our choice of cuts.

Warren

The butcher has a chart to fill out as to what cuts you want. Showing the hind quarter cuts. We haven't got it yet but should be around 200 lbs. We use to buy a half when the kids were home.

Thanks for the like.

Warren

I just bought a 1/4 from a local farmer here in Iowa last week. $1.90 a pound hanging weight. Mine was 232 pounds. Processing was $0.94 a pound. That was roasts, steaks, burger and 5 pounds of beef sticks. I do not know the final package weight of everything after it was boned out. The quarter total was $658

• Love
I've got another dumb question.
Does 1/4 always mean the hind quarter?

I've got another dumb question.
Does 1/4 always mean the hind quarter?

Some shops will call it a quarter, but it's a pre-determined packaged deal based on weight. And you might have 3 or 4 packages to choose from. For example a steak package would be an assortment of various steaks, and 20 pounds of hamburger.

The shop i deal with sells whole beef, 1/2 beef meaning a front and a hind quarter or a front 1/4 or hind quarter. They also sell 1/4 of a beef meaning a mix of front and hind quarter cuts. as well as various packages containing different cuts.

Warren

Here in upstate NY, we're $2.50/lb. hanging weight, and .55 for cut and wrap for beef, which beats the hell out of the $9.99/lb. I saw for chuck roast last month. Question for those who have done this often: what do you ask for or get for ribs? Never done this before. Now if I could only find a freezer.

We are still on a waiting list for our new freezer. Should get it in October.

Here in upstate NY, we're $2.50/lb. hanging weight, and .55 for cut and wrap for beef, which beats the hell out of the $9.99/lb. I saw for chuck roast last month. Question for those who have done this often: what do you ask for or get for ribs? Never done this before. Now if I could only find a freezer.
I had all my ribs, stew meat, brisket, etc all ground into burger. Just got minute steaks, steak, roast and burger

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky