Beef tongues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

terry56

Original poster
Jan 24, 2016
South Central Ontario
I put my brining beef tongues into the garage to cure. It has been a relatively balmy Central Ontario winter. On Wednesday nite the temperature plunged to -20*C ( -4*F ).When I went out Thursday morning, the brine had frozen, not solid but to a heavy slush. It was a regular brining solution of Prague # 1 and salt.Will it still be good when it returns to 40*F?

There was a discussion here recently...the curing process stopped in your bucket, but once return to fridge temps it will start again.

You are good to go.

Here's a video where Jacques Pepin does tongue.  Scroll to episode 111- Offal products.

2.kqed.org/jpepinheart/2015/11/24/episode-111-offal-good/

Any day where the brine was below 36°F does not count toward the total curing time. The meat was too cold to absorb the cure...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky