Beef Tenderloin

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

pocketaces

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Apr 18, 2010
Green Bay, WI
I am brand new to smoking and am going to try beef tenderloin this afternoon. I can't find a whole lot of details online though.

I am using a cheap charbroil grill with sidebox. Going with lump coal to start followed by applewood. What temp do I want to smoke at? What internal temp should I get the meat to? About how long will the cooking time be?

I am doing two tenderloins. One I was thinking of using olive oil and a rub I like. The other I was thinking of wrapping in bacon.

In the waterpan I was thinking of putting some apple juice.

Any hints, tips or ideas would be VERY appreciated.

Thank you all for your help. This site is the best out there.

Most important is not to overcook. I smoke at a little higher temp because I live at high altitude, but most smoke at 225 to 235. You will get a few different opinons on internal temp, but personally I dont go over 140 before foiling and resting. Bacon will certainly help moisture. Let's face it everything is better with bacon
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
. It's one of the fun things about this hobby. The experiments! Go with flavors of ingrediants you like, then push the envelope with new things.

For a water bath, I like a mixture of Water, beer, apple cider vinager, apple cider, and a few dashes of chipotle hot sauce. Not sure it really does much for the flavor, but the combo of these smells and the smoke will drive anyone around you nuts
biggrin.gif

I say at least 30 minutes if not an hour. Wrap in foil, and a couple towels. Most use an insulated cooler to store it in. I warm the oven on low for a few minutes, then turn it off. I put the towel wrapped meat in that for the resting period.

I foil for atleast 30 minutes. I like a hour but atleast 30

So the meat holds its heat after an hour in foil and towel inside of a cooler?

Id hate to serve everyone cold tenderloin.

Thank you all for the help!

A brisket will hold 4 hrs + in a cooler .
tenderloin is a smaller cut so it may not hold as long.
Just keep a close eye on that loin as its a very lean cut and will dry out quick if overcooked.

You can heat the cooler up before you put the wrapped meat into it by pouring boiling water in it for a few min. then pour it out before putting your meat inside.

I would recommand bacon layed over the tenderloins. Now for the temp I would take it to about 130° for rare and then 140° for med rare personally I wouldn't go any higher then 140° for then it might dry out. Because like someone here says "it's not the red meat that bad for you it's the green fuzzy meat thats bad for you." Then like everyone is saying foil it and into the cooler for atleast and 1/2 hour. Then enjoy AFTER you take the Qview. OK We have to get something out of all this.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky