• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Beef Tallow?

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Ok, so I trimmed up a 15# packer yesterday to cook today and wound up with around 3# of fat. :emoji_angry:
Fat.jpg
So I thought I'd render some of it down and maybe get some use out of it.
I don't use it for sausage.
It's been in a crock pot for about 3 hours and is starting to beak down. rendering.jpg
Assuming it works, remind me again what it can be used for and what sort of a container should I use?

Attachments

indaswamp

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
Joined Apr 27, 2017
I know this probably does not help you, but others might see it...

I save all the brisket trim fat for our deer processing day to mix in with the deer for ground meat. I do a 50/50 deer and beef mix. around 80/20 meat to fat ratio. I'll pick up beef rump roasts or whole shoulder clod when I can for a good price.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
I've rendered beef tallow from packers and tri tips a few times. I treated it like bacon fat and put it in a jar in the fridge. My wife doesn't like using either when she cooks, but I use both for cooking, baking, homemade tortillas, etc. Tallow gets harder than bacon fat when chilled but isn't a problem to dig out with a strong spoon.

SWFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Pemmican.
Great for long term storage..

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
I've rendered beef tallow from packers and tri tips a few times. I treated it like bacon fat and put it in a jar in the fridge. My wife doesn't like using either when she cooks, but I use both for cooking, baking, homemade tortillas, etc. Tallow gets harder than bacon fat when chilled but isn't a problem to dig out with a strong spoon.
Yeah, I can relate. When the Mrs. came out on the patio she asked what was in the crock pot.
When I told her she just wrinkled up her nose.
I'll have to label it so I don't get it confused with the jar of bacon fat in the fridge......

culpepersmoke

Meat Mopper
Joined Jan 16, 2010
I have some Brisket fat in the freezer and was thinking about making some tallow as well. Let us know how it works out in the Crook Pot. :emoji_grin:

tallbm

Smoking Guru
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Joined Dec 30, 2016
Ok, so I trimmed up a 15# packer yesterday to cook today and wound up with around 3# of fat. :emoji_angry:
View attachment 513991
So I thought I'd render some of it down and maybe get some use out of it.
I don't use it for sausage.
It's been in a crock pot for about 3 hours and is starting to beak down. View attachment 513993
Assuming it works, remind me again what it can be used for and what sort of a container should I use?
Do you happen to hunt or get your hands on wild game meat very often?
If so it comes in handy as ground fat for a number of non-sausage options in that case.

noboundaries

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 7, 2013
Never tried it in a slow cooker. I just throw it in a covered saucepan or Dutch oven on the stovetop. Low heat for several hours.

Might have to try the slow cooker.

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
Never tried it in a slow cooker. I just throw it in a covered saucepan or Dutch oven on the stovetop. Low heat for several hours.

Might have to try the slow cooker.
I tried it because I saw it mentioned in another post and figured it would be easier.
I didn't realize how many hours were needed.....

smokeymose

Master of the Pit
SMF Premier Member
Joined Aug 13, 2015
OK, it's done.
I cooked it for hours and I gave up for the day and stuck in the fridge overnight to start again this morning.
It reached a point where nothing more would render and the fat that wouldn't render just deep fried.
I wound up with a pint of it and some fried fat. Smells really good!
rendering.jpg separate.jpg juice.jpg
jar.jpg both.jpg cooled.jpg
Maybe I should have done it from the get-go on the low setting.
It takes a lot longer than I anticipated.
No worries; I wound up with a pint of tallow and some crunchy fat that I just couldn't toss out.
I'll think of something to use it for.
It lightens up and hardens after cooling.
:emoji_laughing:
I'm thinking it would be great to brown off a chuckie before doing a pot roast.
All in all a nice experiment to use something I usually throw away

Latest posts

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.