Beef Sirloin Top Butt, Morels, Asparagus, Qview

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

erain

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Feb 2, 2008
cental minnesota
was looking for something different to smoke this w/e. it had to go with the morel mushrooms, i was looking at clods, clod hearts, eye of rounds... then i seen this round roast. i knew the cut from butchering deer and elk and knew it was a good one. Guess its called a Sirloin Top Butt.

there was very little fat on it, did no trimming at all.

liberally covered in my basic rub, dusted with malabar pepper and Janes Krazy salt(love this stuff)...

here it is at about 105 deg, smoked at temps between 225-250 with maple and oak. if you notice i have a drip pan under with beef broth and a sliced vidalia onion in it.

here we are at that magic 135 deg... foiled and wrapped in towels to rest and insulate the heat in.

took the broth /onions from the drip pan and put is saucepan on simmer to reduce.

started the morels while the sauce reducing and roast resting. butter and a sliced vidalia and the morels.

i drained the morels/onions, fresh butter in pan, the mushrooms/onions back in along with all the onions from the reduced broth. drizzled in a little broth to taste. i thought last time the drippings overpowered the morels a bit.

here we are almost ready to eat, unfoil the roast. and start slicing...

I also had a foil pouch with some asparagus, butter, and more Krazy Janes... cooked the chit out of it. oops, still tasted pretty good. the morels were way better than last time. and the roast, that is a pretty neat cut... i would put it up against a tri tip any day. taste and cost. not to mention its pretty darn tender too. plate with overcooked asparagus, the morels, and some roast slices with some reduction drizzled on it.

thks for cking my pics!!!

You're killing me E!!!
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
points.gif

Looks Great Erain...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

It is nice to know we have a member with MORELS...
icon_mrgreen.gif

not any more man!!! morels are all gone. though i heard someone found some yesterday still so maybe have to go ck the woods ... mebe i find some morels eh....
icon_mrgreen.gif

Erain, that looks so good I had to turn loose of some
points.gif
. I could almost taste the morels.
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

As usual your stuff looks great! I am real jealous of the morels, you have more on that plate than i have found in 2 years. Just plain bad weather in KY and have not been able to find any in IL this year either.

That looks so good. It's only 8:00 in the morning and I'm already hungry for supper.
PDT_Armataz_01_12.gif
Tossin' some
points.gif
to ya!

Wow, Erain, that looks amazing. Those morels make my mouth water. I wish I could find something like that! Great photos too!
biggrin.gif

E - I'm on Expedia right now ready to book a plane flight to taste some of those fine meals. Wow, this meal had me holding my breath as I looked through the pics. WONDERFUL JOB!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

Another awesome Qview with those morels Erain! That beef looks perfect. Bet the sause and mushrooms really made it.

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif
and
points.gif

Nice whole top butt.. that's the sirloin section for boneless sirloin steaks, but roasting it whole is good too! Beautiful color!

Yes that is a very nice meal that you have prepared there Erian. Now I know you can find some more morels so go deep my son and grab us some more.

How big of roast was this and what kind of time frame.  I have a graduation party to throw and the boy wants beef not pork...go figure.  Also, does this cut pull very well? or do you just slice.  I have about 50 people to feed. Any help would be good.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky