Beef Shoulder

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

brentman0110

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Oct 4, 2007
Is a beef shoulder a good candidate for pulling. I went all over today looking for a pork butt, but could not find one large enough. If the beef shoulder will work, do I still take it to 200?

the beef shoulder is the Chuck. Roast can be pulled, but there are 7 different chuck roast, look for one with extra fat and that is the one you can pull. I have done three chucks so far. One pulled great, one only partial pulled and one didn't pull at all.

i've done 2 beef roast's last wk,1 sirloin tip one rolled rump .both were very lean little to no fat and both pulled nice.brought to 200.
icon_lol.gif

if you don't think there is enough fat you could always ask the butcher for some beef or pork trimmings

Brentman,
Not sure what the circumstances are but if one butt is not big enough you might want to just consider multiple butts and then not have to worry about the beef. IMHO, pulled pork is mighty hard to beat and the results are fairly predictable. I had a big crowd over during New Years and I did four butts. The wife helped me with the sides and everything really turned out great. My neighbors are still talking about the Q (I used Florida Jeff's finishing sauce). As a matter of fact, I may have created a convert. One neighbor keeps asking me about the smoker, types of meat etc. I think he may take the plunge. Whatever you decide, I wish you luck.

I could, I have just always been wary of smoking a smallish piece of meat. I much prefer a larger cut (5# or more) Seems to be more forgiving. BTW, do you have a link to the recipe for Florida Jeff's finishing sauce?

OK guys

I am doing my first chuck this weekend. I picked up a 5#er today. I'm thinking about 225*, right? Cook 'til 200. Pull it out and foil it put it in a cooler for an hour. Sound about right?

Yes but don't go by temp, when your close start probing it, should go in with no resistance, same way i do my butt's n brisket!
Chuckie's sometimes don't cooperate at 200*.
Good luck and enjoy!!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

sometimes that depends on the cut of meat.......most of the time, we do temps......but some cuts of meat, you need to pay attention to the meat, not the temp

To sum things up, for a 5# chuck, go by the touch or temp?

It's supposed to be about 30* for a high on Sunday.

I'm truely excited. I really enjoy smoking meat and learn something new every time do it! At times, I have a hard time getting to sleep at night!

heh heh heh , He said simmer! heh heh heh! I thought this was a Q site!
biggrin.gif

I would listen to Bubba, not me! I am just "pokin fun".
icon_eek.gif

He has 10 times the experience as I do, at cookin, not sure bout da pokin doh!
tongue.gif

I didn't mean to get ya all excited.....but i know how ya feel!!
Alway's go by temp to get ya close, but with some experience you will be able to go by "feel"
When you stick a probe in and it feel's like soft butter.....it's done, may be 10* higher than you planned, may even be lower, but you'll get the hang of it!!
icon_mrgreen.gif

Sorry to give you more thing's to worry about, use what ya know and go from there, it's ALL good!!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky