Beef Shoulder Clod

Discussion in 'Beef' started by richtee, Jul 9, 2008.

1. richtee

richtee Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Just to prove it DID happen...errr..is happening... heh!

An 11.5 Lb beef shoulder clod- decent price!
    [​IMG]

You can click on pix for a full sized shot :{)

A "body shot". Nice marbling and fat cap.

[​IMG]

The shoulder all rubbed and wrapped. Notice the similarities between the Smitty's packages going out today and the rub color...:{)

[​IMG]

Sittin' in the Thin Blue for a good long while I'll wager yet! Hickory is the choice of the day

[​IMG]

At right around a good temp!

[​IMG]

2. fatback joe

fatback joe Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What temp are you going to call it done? Slicing........pulling........what?

3. 1894

1894 Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

MMMMMmmm , BEEF [​IMG] It's what's for dinner [​IMG]

Lookin' good Richtee .

Those warnings ( skull and bones ) on that rub makes me think I may wanna try some whenever the next go 'round is for it [​IMG]

4. richtee

Dunno Joe... I guess I got a few hours to decide that! What would be your call? Clod to me seems like a pull thing, but? Whaddia think folks?

5. richtee

I'd imagine in the Fall... I'll make an announcement!

6. I saw one cooked on TV once. They sliced it... had my mouth watering! Probably be good pulled too... Can't wait to see how it turns out!

7. fatback joe

I don't know, I was kind of looking to learn something instead of just running my mouth like I know everything. [​IMG] Mostly just curious what you had in mind. Figured an 11.5 lb chunk o beef had to have a predetermined fate. LOL

I suppose if I was doing it, I would stop around a nice med. rare and slice thin for sandwiches or something.............then I would complain that I should have taking up into the pulling range.........never happy.

8. richtee

Well how's this? With 11.5 lbs to play with... maybe I'll whack off a few lb hunk for some medium rare sandwich fodder, and let the balance go to pull? :{)

9. Sounds like the best of both worlds![​IMG]

10. fatback joe

Pick one way or the other...........then just do another one tomorrow. LOL

11. richtee

Funny you should mention that. I DO have another one in the freezer!

Also, I forgot to post my mop:

Mop sauce consists of equal parts cider vinegar, sweet sherry, and James B. Beam bourbon, for a total of 1 cup. Additionally- 1 Tbsp butter, 1 Tbsp each onion and garlic powder, 1 Tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp. rosemary, ground, 1 tsp of pictured pepper mix. All simmered gently for about 5 min.

12. fatback joe

I am not the least bit surprised. [​IMG]

13. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Cut it in half right now, slice one and pull the other!!

14. earache_my_eye

earache_my_eye Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

Then what would he do for the remainder of the day since his cooking time would be so short??.......Hmmmmm......I wonder....... \_/ \_/ \_/.....[​IMG][​IMG]

15. richtee

OK here's a shot 3.5 hours into the smoke.

[​IMG]

And I decided to slice the smaller end off. It was reading 140°. I wrapped in saran wrap tight, and wrapped that in a big towel. Now resting comfortable on the counter :{) MMM...had to have a taste too! Yum!

Coated the new cut end of the other hunk with a bit more rub, and back on the smoker with it!

[​IMG]

16. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Now your talkin, best of both worlds!! Gonna be a long day on the other half....your lookin for 205* at least! [​IMG]

17. erain

erain Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

u got it made rich.... not only u got lunch, man think about ltr... lookin good and can only imagine with the smittys..... got to be great!!!

18. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Mmmm Rich, it's looking gooood! Thanks for that mop recipe too, can't wait to give it a try.[​IMG]

19. lcruzen

lcruzen Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Looks great so far. I'm not familiar with this cut of beef. Would this be similar to a pork butt/shoulder on a swine? Is it pretty tender doing it MR?

Been think of getting a steamship round for the Helluva Cruise in August but that price is much more attractive.

20. flyin'illini

flyin'illini Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

Looks good, Rich. The smoker is still crusin' along I see. You come up with a drum yet?