Beef Short Ribs with Q-View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tom in nc

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 13, 2009
Mebane, NC
I smoked some beef short ribs this weekend for the first time. I started with about 2.3 pounds of beef bone in chuck short ribs. There were only 4 of them in the package but each one was pretty meaty!

Friday night I rubbed the ribs with yellow mustard and coated them in Jeff's rub. Saturday I fired up my WSM using the Minion method with Stubbs briquettes and 3 chunks of cherry. I filled the charcoal ring about 1/2 full and burried the cherry in the briquettes. I lit about 1/2 of a chimney of briquettes and dumped them on when they were ready.

I smoked them using the 3-2-1 method. After 2 hours I sprayed them with a apple juice/Captain Morgan's mixture. At the 3 hour mark I sprayed them again and wrapped them in foil. At the 5 hour mark I removed the foil and sprayed them again. After the last hour I pulled the ribs and here is where I may have gone wrong. My dog needed to take care of business so I wrapped the ribs in foil, chucked them in a cooler and packed the cooler with towels. 30 minutes later our walk was done and my dog was now content.

Once at home I unfoiled the ribs and sat down to dinner with my wife. She had a baked sweet potato and salads ready to go. The ribs tasted good but they were a little tough and a bit dry. I was really expecting something more tender and moist. They weren't inedible, just not what I thought I was going to get. Not sure where I went wrong. Could it have been the foiling and resting in a cooler? The good thing about screwing up is you get to try again! Beef short ribs are on my list for another smoke.

Ribs in the package...

Ready for some rub...

Ribs rubbed and ready for a little nap...

Ribs ready to go on the smoker...

On the smoker...

TBS!

Ready to come off the smoker...

Dinner is ready...(picture with flash)

picture without flash...

Closer view...

Thanks for looking!

Not real sure about short ribs! However when I do Beef ribs I don't foil. they are usually pretty fat, so. I think you can try to cook them until they are soft with no foil. They are beef and not pork so no real target temp. They had nice pull back and look great.

Any better luck with those lottery tickets than with the ribs??

Gotta love Ken's salad dressing...Framingham's Finest!

those look very good, the way i do beef short ribs is to sear them, smoke them about 2 hours or so at 275 and then foil them to render most of the fat out. i usually put them in a foil pan to do this. the bone usually comes out by itself. so you can imagine how tender they are at this point. then if you like you can put them back on the grill to firm them up a bit.

Holy smokes! That looks good. I'm so hungry right now...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Ribs Look Great Tom...
PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

You might want to cut the size of the pics back to 640X480 though for those with dial up...

The ribs look great but then you say that they were ineible. It was cause they were tough??? Now you did the whole 3-2-1 thingy right??? I mite think of letting them spend alittle more time in the foil the next time. I need to know cause I have about 15 lbs of them in the freezer right now. Talk about dino bones theses things are huge meaty.

That's a fine looking meal. I haven't had short ribs in years and never smoked them. I saw some at Sam's Club a few days ago. Guess I'll give it a try.

I have never smoked any short ribs. We braise ours and they nearly fall of the bone. Very good flavor in that meat, but it can be tough when dry cooked.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky