Beef short ribs (newbie alert- steps, pics, lessons learned)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rare2medium

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 31, 2016
SouthEast PA
Hi everyone, smoking newbe, grilling not. Executive summary, a fantastic meal, very tender beef ribs, smoky, savory, but a lot of shrinkage (maybe too high temp?). Great beef short ribs, fall-off-the-bone.  Cherry wood used, MES electric used again, tried AMES tray (again!) but it stalled (again, yes, I know, I'm a newbie, still trying to figure it out, I think it is a draft thing). Most of the guidance (cooking-wise) was from a recipe I found in Mixon's book.

ok. I tenderized the ribs with a manual punch after coating them with a basic rub (salt, pepper, onion, garlic) but added some parsley, brown sugar and cumin. In the frig overnight.

View media item 464684Started the smoker at 265 (about 10 lower than Mixon's recipe. In hindsight, maybe it should have been lower.)

After 2 hrs, here they are. Internal temp shows them being almost done, but another 2 hrs to go, covered in foil with some water. Not too happy with the shrink factor after another 2 hrs. Next step (per the Mixon  recipe) is add some water to the tray, to cover them and seal with foil, where they shrink even more. Do look great though. 

This is after the 2+ hours when it calls for adding some peach-based glazed by Mixon (essentially a basic bbq vinegar based glaze, apple cider vinegar, ketchup, salt, ac vinegar, spices, etc. with peach preserves and corn syrup, spices.

Summary. Fantastic, great dinner. Fall-off-the-bone tender, maybe too much so (next time, maybe lower temp?), awesome spicy fruit tangy sauce for the beef (kinda new and out of my comfort zone, but this smokin thing is something new so what the heck, it was good, which I guess is what counts.)

Still having some stalling issues with the AMAZEN smoking tray so half of this was done with that and the other half with the built in MES smoker. So that part a work-in-progress. Working on a stuffed pork loin today with the tray with much better luck so far.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky