Beef Round Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

yes i smoke

Original poster
Apr 22, 2015
Hello,

I just bought a small 2.5 pound beef round roast. I'm wondering about time and temp for smoking it? Also type of wood to smoke it with? I was thinking of either Hickory or Pecan? I will be using my 40 inch Masterbuilt Electric Smoker. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you much

Last edited:
good evening i would say it mostly depends on what you will be doing with it and how you want it pulled-200 to 205.... sliced (well done)-180 to 190 and i love hickory wood but i hear pecan is really good as well maybe you should try a blend of woods.

Round roast is not a pulling roast. If you try and take it to the temps of 200 you will have shoe leather. Round works best taken to rare-medium rare, and if you absolutely must well done. I like to take our to an IT of 130-135. Smoked with a 50/50 mix of cherry and pecan. Depending on the thickness and the put temp this will take 2-4 hours. You will want to test wrapped in foil for a good 45 minutes prior to slicing. I like to run my pit temp down around 180-200 since its a short smoke, that gives the roast a good amount of smoke.

Put a batch of Chef JJ's Smokey Au Jus under the roast. It's well worth the effort and will go good with the thin slices of round roast!'

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/a/chef-jimmyjs-smokey-au-jus

Last edited:
I agree that this is definitely not for pulling. I agree with the above. Smoke it, throw it in the fridge overnight and slice thin for some roast beef sandwiches! You'll love it. Or check out some pit beef threads.

Excellent thank you very for your suggestions. I am for sure going to cook this to a nice medium rare. That Chef jj's smokey au jus looks very good I will give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky