Beef roast like a rump or bottom round

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chipgiii

Original poster
Aug 10, 2015
Has anyone tried smoking one of these, or even a chuck roast?

I am debating on whether to smoke on or put it on the rotisserie on the gas grill.

I ask about the chuck because they are pretty tough, but tasty.  I was wondering how smoking one might be.  Nearly everything I see on here in the beef world is briskets.

Smoke that chuckie to 205 IT like a pork butt & pull it like one, too. Add a little bit of a nice sauce (or just the drippings) & enjoy some great sandwiches. I made burnt ends out of my last one.

TW

Last edited:
How long do you think it will take.  I want to pick one up on the way home and try it tonight.

lol...what is a burnt end?  I'm old but a novice.

Last edited:
Good advice above for that chuck roast.  If you are going to smoke any round cuts (top,bottom,eye) you need to bring them to an IT of 125 or so for medium rare and then toss in the fridge overnight then slice them real thin for some delicious sandwich meat.  I smoke them all the time and then vaccuum seal in 1/4 - 1/2 pound portions so that I have them for sandwiches and lunches.

It depends on how big & what temp you're using. I can do a small, 3-4 pounder in 5-6 hours at 250-275 degrees. I think the last time out I had a bigger one, though. It's done when it's to temp, not by your plans sometimes, unfortunately. And burnt ends are actually cubed, tasty nuggets off of the point-end of a brisket. You can almost duplicate them with a chuckie, but they're not quite as good as the real thing. The upside though, is that you don't have to cook a WHOLE brisket (or even a point) to get them. You can just make some nice, pulled beef BBQ if you cook it like a pork butt though, like I was sayin' before.

My "faux" burnt ends (chuck roast)

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/232541/faux-burnt-ends-chuck-roast

TW

Last edited:
Thanks.  I am leaving work now.  I am going to give this a shot.  Off tomorrow so I have plenty of time.

Chuck roasts are great. Like others have said, cook them low and slow just like a pork butt. I bought two yesterday on sale for $3.50. I'll cook one on Saturday and freeze the other.

For more detailed instructions, look for Chuckies in Bear's Step by Step IndexBear's Step by Step Index

You are asking about two very different types of beef. If you are going with a chuck roast which is fatty then cooking it to 205 will work. If you are going with a bottom round or rump that is on the lean side you will want to cook it to med-rare and slice. 

Reactions: gtmski

You are asking about two very different types of beef. If you are going with a chuck roast which is fatty then cooking it to 205 will work. If you are going with a bottom round or rump that is on the lean side you will want to cook it to med-rare and slice. 
Definitely.

I haven't done bottom round or rump- just the chucks. Cooking the round or rump to 205 would be severely dry! You're good to go, though on that chuck.

TW

Yes.  Just seeing this now and it's too late.  I did a round roast and it is pretty bad to say the least.  Think I'll stick to the fattier meats for now: pork butt, brisket, etc.

I think  I made a second big time  rookie mistake.  When you add coals to the offset, do you just throw them in or get them going in a chimney first?  I added them and this morning thought that might not be right.

Any good beginner Smoking Books for the royally stupid out there?

Yes.  Just seeing this now and it's too late.  I did a round roast and it is pretty bad to say the least.  Think I'll stick to the fattier meats for now: pork butt, brisket, etc.

I think  I made a second big time  rookie mistake.  When you add coals to the offset, do you just throw them in or get them going in a chimney first?  I added them and this morning thought that might not be right.

Any good beginner Smoking Books for the royally stupid out there?
Jeff's book is the best I have read for a beginner. The recipes are simple and he has a great intro section that goes over all the basics.

Costco sells a beautiful top round.  I see it every time Im there and Im trying to work up the courage to try it sometime.  Seems like the general consensus is to cook to medium and slice for sandwich meat.  I'd love to try it. 

Reactions: chipgiii

Costco sells a beautiful top round.  I see it every time Im there and Im trying to work up the courage to try it sometime.  Seems like the general consensus is to cook to medium and slice for sandwich meat.  I'd love to try it. 
Thanks - had to toss the roast.

Also means I need a meat slicer.....  HAHA.  Too many gizmos.
I finally broke down and ordered one this morning. I had been getting by with a dexter-russel slicing knife but man is it a pain when I have a bunch of stuff to slice. We just reworked our home office (which never got used) into a second pantry to hold all of our kitchen crap. 

Don't be nervous! Such an easy smoke. As long as you pull it at a reasonable IT ( no more than medium in my opinion. I usually smoke it at about 180-200 degrees and pull it at 125 IT and it's pink wall to wall. Drive to Costco now and buy it hahah and you are right... Now you'll need a slicer and will never buy store bought cold cuts again! Haha damn expensive hobby this is!

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky