Beef Ribs and Meatloaf

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
Meatloaf has always been a favorite of mine, and now that I've been smoking it for a couple of years it's becoming more of a staple. Unfortunately my wife not so much. So whats a good husband to do - make her some beef ribs. Hope you enjoy...

Getting the WSM all ready with three chunks of hickory.
DSC00510.JPG

The ribs in all their nakkid glory.
DSC00511.JPG

All seasoned up with gralic, onion powders, Kosher salt, ground black pepper and injected with some beef broth.
DSC00512.JPG

On to the meatloaf and it's fixin's
DSC00514.JPG

3lbs of 80/20 and 1lb of ground pork.
DSC00515.JPG

Veggies added...got to eat somewhat healthy. I don't cook the veggies prior to adding them. I like their juices to be released into the loaf. Plus I like the little bit of texture they add.
DSC00516.JPG

Not real pretty, but that the liquids for moisture. 2 eggs, worchester sauce, franks hot sauce and some baby rays.
DSC00517.JPG

Oatmeal added until diesired consistency.
DSC00518.JPG

Ribs on the smoker, running at 260*
DSC00519.JPG

Hand formed meatloaf
DSC00520.JPG

And onto the smoker with a couple strips of bacon for good measure. Ribs are about an hour into there heat treatment.
DSC00521.JPG

Ribs pulled at 203 to 207* about 4hr to 5hrs. no foiling this time
DSC00524.JPG

Meatloaf pulled at 160*. The meatloaf was smoked for future lunches. So it went into the fridge for a cool down. This is her the next day.
DSC00526.JPG

All sliced up and ready to go into hibernation.
DSC00527.JPG

Labeled and into the airless chambers.
DSC00528.JPG

Except for these two slices their lunch for tomorrow. Along with a side of crispy twice baked potato stuffed with bacon and home smoked cheddar cheese.
DSC00529.JPG

Sorry no plated shots, we tend to eat on the fly since the kids are gone. It's more of a home buffet style dinner these days, plus my wife thinks I'm crazy enough taking pictures of my cooks. Thanks for taking the time to look.

Chris

Looks great chris! Making me hungry and I’m sitting at the dentist about to get a big fat shot, and drill treatment.... guess it’ll be a liquid diet tonight. Wish I was eating meatloaf.

Scott

That is one good looking meal!
Smart thinking, keeping the wife happy!
But I'm with you, I could eat meatloaf sandwiches everyday for lunch.
And every evening, heated up for dinner!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

Looks great Chris! Jealous with how much room the 22 has over the 18.

Thanks for the kind words Geebs, don't be jealous, this one could have been on the Kettle or an 18.

That looks delicious, can’t wait to smoke a meatloaf

Go for it, meatloaf is a very quick and easy smoke. Plus it adds another flavor profile to something that you already enjoy. And thank you for looking.

Everything looks great!
Love me smoked meatloaf!

I've always been a meatloaf eater. Smoking just brings it up a notch. Thank you.

Looks great chris! Making me hungry and I’m sitting at the dentist about to get a big fat shot, and drill treatment.... guess it’ll be a liquid diet tonight. Wish I was eating meatloaf.
Scott

Can't say I envy you hillbilly, I need one of those appointments in the not to distant future. Best of luck, BTW I had a liquid diet while making the meatloaf - just for practice. Thanks for the kind words.

That is one good looking meal!
Smart thinking, keeping the wife happy!
But I'm with you, I could eat meatloaf sandwiches everyday for lunch.
And every evening, heated up for dinner!
Congrats on making the carousel!
Al

You know what they say "Happy wife, happy life". It's been 33 years and I'm still happy. As for meatloaf I'm with you I can eat it cold(preferred) or hot. Doesn't matter to me. I may not be able to compete with that guy who just finished off his 30,000th big mac, but I could come close with meatloaf. Thanks for the like and the ride on the carousel appreciate it.

Chris

Chris.... ya nailed it man. That meatloaf is over the top. How the heck can your wife not love that?
Like! B

Everything looks great! I like oatmeal as a binder in my meat loaf as well. My wife thinks that’s weird lol.

Nice job Chris.
I just got on the site and your great pic on the carousel was the first thing I saw. Came right here and I'm glad I did.
I really love smoked meatloaf and yours looks mighty fine. The beef ribs look good too. It's a wise man who keeps his wife happy.
Don't feel bad. Miss Linda laughs at me every time I bring the camera to the table.
POINT
Gary

Now I remember why I resisted for this site.... amazing, I'm jealous. Got off of Facebook like 11 years ago....why? so I can see food like this! good work my friend! I'm Drooling!....

That oatmeal trick I saw on tv one day.. might have been America's test kitchen or cooks country show. Good substitute for crackers or bread.

Nice grub!

Rings, I've tried breadcrumbs, white bread, and crackers. Oatmeal is easy to control the amounts and works great.
Thanks for the like, appreciate it.

Chris.... ya nailed it man. That meatloaf is over the top. How the heck can your wife not love that?
Like! B

I'm not sure why she doesn't like meatloaf. It goes back to when she was growing up. We have an agreement that I won't force her to eat meatloaf, and she won't make me eat mushrooms. It works. Thanks for the like BD

Awesome job Chris! Love the way you document everything! Pictures are worth a thousand words. Thank you for being on this forum!!

You da man!!

Thanks for the like, and kind words yankee, I've been a member here for quite awhile now, and didn't post much in the earlier days. Then I started posting more and more. I also didn't have a camera for allot of those years(till about last year I think) and saw all the wonderful food items people were posting. I just remembered what I like to see and hopefully someone else does. Some steps in making a dish can't be explained and have to be shown. Your right a picture is worth a thousand words.

Chris

Everything looks great! I like oatmeal as a binder in my meat loaf as well. My wife thinks that’s weird lol.

Thanks for the like BKing. I've tried numerous other things but have settled on oatmeal. My wife won't eat meatloaf so I don't have to worry.

Mmm meatloaf sammich :)
Looks great!
Thanks moto, That's what's on schedule to today's lunch. Thanks for the like.

Nice job Chris.
I just got on the site and your great pic on the carousel was the first thing I saw. Came right here and I'm glad I did.
I really love smoked meatloaf and yours looks mighty fine. The beef ribs look good too. It's a wise man who keeps his wife happy.
Don't feel bad. Miss Linda laughs at me every time I bring the camera to the table.
POINT
Gary

Thanks Gary. The ribs were really good, and I get to tasted the meatloaf today at work. I think my wife is sorry she bought the camera. Thanks for the like appreciate it.

Now I remember why I resisted for this site.... amazing, I'm jealous. Got off of Facebook like 11 years ago....why? so I can see food like this! good work my friend! I'm Drooling!....

Thanks for the kind words Chris. I'm slowly weeding myself off of facebook also.

Nice Ribs & Meat Loaf, Chris!!:)

Looks Mighty Tasty!!
Like.

Bear

Thank you bear, the ribs were good and the first sammie is set for latter on today.

Chris

I think it all looks great! Meatloaf is part of my unholy trinity of foods so i don't eat it but yours looks very good. those ribs look fantastic and i would eat them every day!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

I think it all looks great! Meatloaf is part of my unholy trinity of foods so i don't eat it but yours looks very good. those ribs look fantastic and i would eat them every day!

Happy Smoking,
phatbac (Aaron)

Thanks Aaron, I've always loved meatloaf and now I always keep a few slices tucked away in a deep freeze. I ate a few slices today at work and boy was it good. The whole dilbert ville office setting that I work in was wondering what smelled so good.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky