Beef Ribs 2 ways

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

scooper

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 20, 2011
Boca Raton, FL
Did some beef ribs with an easy rub.

Costco Organic Spice Mix

A little S&P

Turbinado Sugar.

At the store while buying a bag of mesquite chunks I grabbed a 4 pack of already separated ribs for a test.

Sprinkled them with 2 parts Montreal and one part Turbinado.  It was quite salty, so I only sprinkled, not rubbed.

Mesquite for 3, foiled for 2, (foiled separated ribs for 1), finished on the grill.  Came out great!  (with some thighs and my modified Jeff's rub too)

The Montreal were a tad salty, but lots of flavor.  The others were outstanding!

97384ad7_09-19-11001.jpg

866cb0f4_09-19-11003.jpg

32c831c4_09-19-11004.jpg

fc7a14f3_09-19-11002.jpg

f73b5738_09-19-11005.jpg

They look GREAT!

I use Montreal Steak Seasoning on Dino bones

Todd

That ALL looks great Scooper!!!!

Beautiful BearView of a plateful of perfection!!!    

I could eat one just like that right now!!!!

So that's the trick!!!!

I tried Montreal one time, & I hated it !!!!

I guess I should have sprinkled, instead of coating the meat, like I do with my other rubs.

Thanks,

Bear

Thanks much, guys!  It was a good meal. 

Bear, I knew Montreal had to be cut with something, so I went with the obvious sugar.  I wanted some good caramelization.  I wonder what else it can be cut with to make a rub out of it?  Any ideas?  Or just go sparingly like I did. 

I'm going to just try it sparingly, like you did.

Kinda like the amount of CBP, Garlic powder, and Onion Powder that I put on my Prime Ribs.

When I used the Montreal, I put it on way too heavy, like I normally rub my Chuckies & Briskets.

Bear

Looks great!

I just bought a small bottle of Montreal even though I don't usually use commercial stuff.  And YES!  It is very salty!

Good luck and good smoking.

Reactions: scooper
Scoop,
Looks-Great.gif

I sprinkle 25% less sodium Montreal Chicken on my spatchcock chicken after I rub with CBP&G and mist with EVO.

JC1947

Last edited:
have you tried the Montreal on a Brisket ?

and like you i make my own rub but i do like to try other "spices" just to see what happens and if i can get the OMG look from my taste tester's !!

Looks great Scoop
drool.gif
. Just a little more cost than I can handle for the amt of meat you get
frown.gif

Have fun and......
Thanks!  I usually have thighs from Costco around because I feed them to my dogs.  @ $0.99 it's not so bad.  Once I have room in the freezer I will get a 40# case of quarters at Restaurant Depot for $0.59.  I only get the ribs when I find them on sale.

Scoop,
Looks-Great.gif

I sprinkle 25% less sodium Montreal Chicken on my spatchcock chicken after I rub with CBP&G and mist with EVO.

JC1947
That sounds like a good plan too.  thanks!

have you tried the Montreal on a Brisket ?

and like you i make my own rub but i do like to try other "spices" just to see what happens and if i can get the OMG look from my taste tester's !!
I have not done a brisket yet.  I have to convince the wife that it will not be dry and stringy.  She is always skeptical about something I smoke until she tries it.  Then I get the OMG, both the look and the verbal. 

B.S.  (before smoker) I had formulated a poultry rub that was fantastic on all birds cooked all ways except fried chicken.  Every time I think I'm going to make it, I end up grabbing the Costco stuff and adding sugar and GBP. It is so close to what I used to make.

I rub the chicken with either that, or Jeff's plus my stuff, depending on if I am going to add Buffalo sauce or BBQ sauce.  Either way they are a hit with the wife, and even her daughter who almost does not like meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky