Beef prices

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I have a friend who is the manager of a local butcher shop. He can get me just about anything I want and always sells to me at his cost, but I usually have to buy in bulk the things that he doesn't sell too well in order for him to get it for me. I asked him to get me a price on some whole beef short ribs and his price is $8.49/lb. Double what I bought them from him at the beginning of the year. Crazy, I think I'll pass for now...

Just picked a "prime" brisket at Sams earlier this evening. $5.04 a pound. Now what caught my attention most was the "choice" brisket was $4.96 a pound. The pork shoulder was $2.18 a pound. Picked up in the burbs south of Murderapolis I mean Minneapolis.

Reactions: ConrodM
Just picked a "prime" brisket at Sams earlier this evening. $5.04 a pound. Now what caught my attention most was the "choice" brisket was $4.96 a pound. The pork shoulder was $2.18 a pound. Picked up in the burbs south of Murderapolis I mean Minneapolis.
Or as I called it when I lived there in 1991-'93, Minnefrickinappolis. Lol.

Well….. this past week I paid $4.99/# for St Louis Ribs at Costco. Yeahhhh I know- same as Prime Brisket but…..
I am starting to finally get these ribs figured out for my tastes and am so close that I “HAD” to do it!! BUTTER IS THE GAME CHANGER!! I thought it would make them more greasy (wife not big on that) so avoided this comp style. Wrong!! Not greasy but FABULOUS!! 😁👍👍

Last edited:
Reactions: Bearcarver
Looks like beef prices are going to go almost through the roof again, they have already gone up quite a bit here at wholesale level just from last week, sounds like could last around 2 months. Hopefully my information is wrong.
it'real weird down here in Mijami-ish. i buy Meat predominantly at a store that caters to the Latin demogrphic. this week they have St. Louis ribs trimmed good but Meaty for $3.99. last week they had one brisket point pre-cut and it was $7.99/lb.
wings range fro $4.99/ to$1/.99 /lb depending on which day you go. really sad part is the price of the skirt steak at $8.99/ lb when they used to throw that in the hamburger bin for grinding. since all the chicken wing places have erupted, and ChimyChurry has become a thing I guess it's quite the market will bear. even the expensive meat places down here and they had brisket for $1.99 a pound for a whole packer in thelast year

I'm a cattle farmer and I'm stuck paying these ridiculous prices for beef too. I had a big bull calf with a gimpy hind leg that was supposed to go in the freezer, but all the slaughterhouses within a 3 hour drive ,one way, are booked up into next year. 3 hours is really pushing it, too. You have to take the animal up there, then make another trip to get your meat when it's ready. I ended up with 30 cents a pound at the stockyard ... doubt it covered his feed bill last winter.

As far as the high prices, us farmers ain't getting any more out of the animals we sell; we're getting less. It's a good thing I enjoy working cattle, cause the returns are fairly minimal for small operations. Commercial farms that have direct contracts with the packers may do better, but small family farms don't turn much of a profit these days.

it'real weird down here in Mijami-ish. i buy Meat predominantly at a store that caters to the Latin demogrphic. this week they have St. Louis ribs trimmed good but Meaty for $3.99. last week they had one brisket point pre-cut and it was $7.99/lb.
wings range fro $4.99/ to$1/.99 /lb depending on which day you go. really sad part is the price of the skirt steak at $8.99/ lb when they used to throw that in the hamburger bin for grinding. since all the chicken wing places have erupted, and ChimyChurry has become a thing I guess it's quite the market will bear. even the expensive meat places down here and they had brisket for $1.99 a pound for a whole packer in thelast year
Prices actually were starting to come down maybe a month ago, but now slowly moving up again, not looking like they will drop any time soon.

Reactions: Dive Bar Casanova
I'm a cattle farmer and I'm stuck paying these ridiculous prices for beef too. I had a big bull calf with a gimpy hind leg that was supposed to go in the freezer, but all the slaughterhouses within a 3 hour drive ,one way, are booked up into next year. 3 hours is really pushing it, too. You have to take the animal up there, then make another trip to get your meat when it's ready. I ended up with 30 cents a pound at the stockyard ... doubt it covered his feed bill last winter.

As far as the high prices, us farmers ain't getting any more out of the animals we sell; we're getting less. It's a good thing I enjoy working cattle, cause the returns are fairly minimal for small operations. Commercial farms that have direct contracts with the packers may do better, but small family farms don't turn much of a profit these days.
Yep, seems the family farms always get the short end of the dollar , not to many years ago there were 5 dairy farmers around where I live now there is 1. It's a shame they can't make living doing something they loved.

Yeah, I don't think many folks here are blaming the ranchers/farmers for the cost increases. We know it's a tough business for the little guys. My uncle was an apple farmer in WA state; had a few orchards. He grew the biggest, best tasting apples I've ever had, then or since. I once asked him why I never saw apples like this in my local grocery. He said most of those went to Japan, because they paid a premium for them. But even so, it seemed like after expenses, he was always just getting by.

Price of meats in Jersey have skyrocketed in price. A prime brisket packer from the butcher was on average 80-100 per packer. Stopped in the other day, he told me prices are going crazy and told me same brisket i usually get is going for 150.00 ribs have almost doubled. what is this country becoming, our pay is not keeping up with these prices. gas here is like 3.40-3.90 for regular last year was 1.80- 2.05 God help us.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky