Beef jerky take one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gruelurks

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Apr 23, 2009
Oakland County, MI
Since I'm on the smoker kick, I figured why not try my hand at some beef jerky? I bought a 3 lb sirloin tip, trimmed it into 1/4" thick chunks, rubbed it with some cajun style seasoning and cure from D.J.'s Meats (http://www.djmeats.com/) and let it sit in the fridge for a couple days.

Today I tossed it in the smoker at 200 degrees with a good pinch of soaked hickory chips and let it go for 6 hours. The end result was not bad, but I think I over did the seasonings a bit. It is tasty but a bit salty. Next week I'm going to try a teriyaki style marinade and roll with that.
c13a97fc_vbattach21204.jpg

70333f35_vbattach21205.jpg

1f3d23c2_vbattach21206.jpg

Nice first shot at jerky.

Given that jerky is dried, not cooked, anything over 150 is probably cooking it. I do mine at around 140, and it tends to take about 4 hours.

yes dry it at 120ish-and cut thicker-3/8 in.and round works also or londen broil- save the good stuff for other smoking-if u have rytecks book he has a great recipi in there-I add ginger to get the teriyaki.

Nice first attempt at jerky.
Have yet to do some but would like to.
I have an eye of round roast in the freezer and I thought I had read that can be used for jerky, I'll have to read more into it but if so then I'll give it a whirl soon.
Thanks for the inspiration GrueLurks.

Nice link Gary, thanks.

Grue,

Your jerky looks good. I tried my hand at some Beef Jerky the other day as well and it too came out very salty.

I was told afterwords, that the cure I used (Mortons Tenderquick) should be rinsed off before you start to dry the jerky. I put mine on the smoker for about 2 hours at roughly 140 degrees to give it some smoke taste, and then I put it into a 7 layer dehydrator. It took almost 18 hours in the dehydrator to get it to where I wanted.

Publix has London Broil on sale for 2.29/lb right now and I think I will pick up some more and give it a shot with some store bought A1 Marinade with the Tenderquick added.

Someone may have a better answer to this question, but some of the jerky recipes dont require any kind of cure and they say it will last up to 3 weeks in an air tight container. and even longer in the fridge.

I seen Alton Brown's way of making jerky and think I may try that sometime.

5 air conditioner filters and attaching them to a box fan with a bungee cord.

Alton Brown's method makes from VERY nice, uniform tastey jerky. Its almost like bacon strips.

The only thing I didn't like about it was he said the filters were cheap, where as I could only find them for $3-5 each. Hopefully reuse is a possibility. Also the fat strips worried me a bit as they dont really go anywhere.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky