Beef jerkey

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kfactor

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 9, 2012
sk can
I want to try some jerkey this weekend for the second time first time was horrible . What cut of meat do u guys use and what temp I have a side fire box smoker

Well, someone might be along soon to help that has done jerky in a SFB. I'm a dehydrator jerky maker and that suits me just fine what with the price of beef these days and me not wanting to toss out 5 #'s of jerked crap. I would suggest beef that is not marbled or to fatty, which can turn rancid. London Broil, eye of round, round steak are all decent choices especially if on sale. Freeze almost solid and slice about 1/8 inch thick. Some say against the grain, some go with the grain....all depends on your teeth IMO. I sometimes get jerky meat from Wal-Mart called a Milano cut...very thinly sliced and often on sale. I always use cure since I like to jerk at lower temps...130'ish rather than the 160+ suggested by many. I want dry, pliable jerky...not cooked meat so I go with a lower temp. I admire your determination to try again in a SFB...I understand temps are hard to control. HTH, Willie

Well, someone might be along soon to help that has done jerky in a SFB. I'm a dehydrator jerky maker and that suits me just fine what with the price of beef these days and me not wanting to toss out 5 #'s of jerked crap. I would suggest beef that is not marbled or to fatty, which can turn rancid. London Broil, eye of round, round steak are all decent choices especially if on sale. Freeze almost solid and slice about 1/8 inch thick. Some say against the grain, some go with the grain....all depends on your teeth IMO. I sometimes get jerky meat from Wal-Mart called a Milano cut...very thinly sliced and often on sale. I always use cure since I like to jerk at lower temps...130'ish rather than the 160+ suggested by many. I want dry, pliable jerky...not cooked meat so I go with a lower temp. I admire your determination to try again in a SFB...I understand temps are hard to control. HTH, Willie

Chef Willie has you covered on this one!!!

Last edited:
I personally have only been able to get the "cooked" type of jerky, what I do is buy an eye of round, slice it into 1/3"-1/2" squarish strips (down the length of the eye of round" then marinade in whatever I have lying around. Typically I buy a bottle of "very yeri teriyaki" from the grocery store, throw in a teaspoon of cure and marinade up to 5 lbs of jerky with that for over a day.  Then hot smoke to my hearts content.

This works for me because I like big chewy jerky chunks and one strip is usually enough meat for a decent snack.

As much $ Trish spends on that packaged crud , I need to start doing her some fresh.
icon_eek.gif

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky