Beef ideas for a grilling/BBQ competition?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

worktogthr

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Nov 3, 2013
Massapequa, NY (Long Island)
Hey all,

A bunch of local BBQ Folks are having a free grilling competition as part of an upcoming family festival. My friend Andrew and I decided to try it just for the fun of it. It's not a traditional BBQ comp with long, possibly overnight cooks, nor are the meats specifically assigned. Format is this:

4 hours from set up to the first turn in.

Categories: chicken, beef, dessert

No parameters, any cut of those meats and any dessert as long as they are made on a grill or smoker of some sort.

We have our dishes for chicken and dessert locked in but we are struggling for beer ideas.

With the short time frame, steak sounds great but being inexperienced, we were hoping for some ideas that can be held for a while if they get done early without killing the quality. I appreciate any ideas you can offer us. Thanks!

-Chris

Hmmmm, you wrote "beer" ideas above and I think you meant "beef." I can think of GALLONS of beer ideas!

Only two beef ideas popped into my aged and abused mind. They won't grey out or tighten up if finished early, and are still good whether hot or cold. One is medium rare roast beef and the other is meatloaf. Both can be done on the grill and are fabulous.

A shepards pie could be interesting wouldn't think many would go that route. Possibly Tri tip being a little bigger cut could hold well.

Hmmmm, you wrote "beer" ideas above and I think you meant "beef." I can think of GALLONS of beer ideas!

Only two beef ideas popped into my aged and abused mind. They won't grey out or tighten up if finished early, and are still good whether hot or cold. One is medium rare roast beef and the other is meatloaf. Both can be done on the grill and are fabulous.

Hahaa we might have some beer ideas once the comp is over. Meatloaf was definitely a consideration, so we are brainstorming some
Creative ideas for meatloaf a

A shepards pie could be interesting wouldn't think many would go that route. Possibly Tri tip being a little bigger cut could hold well.

Your comment about the tri tip got me thinking about smoking a larger cut like prime rib or a strip roast then slicing and topping with some kind of creative compound butter (maple bacon butter, red wine butter, blue cheese butter)

Hahaa we might have some beer ideas once the comp is over. Meatloaf was definitely a consideration, so we are brainstorming some
Creative ideas for meatloaf a
If you want to do meatloaf this is your winning recipe.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/tyler-florence/dads-meatloaf-with-tomato-relish-recipe.html

I have made this on the smoker at least a dozen times over the years and it is always a huge hit. Always stays moist because of the relish and milk soaked bread. It's perfect for the grill or smoker and is far different than the standard meat loaf.

My first choice would be meatloaf, 2nd prime rib. Problem with PR, is if someone else makes one, it would be up to whatever you garnish it with to separate it from the rest.

Meatloaf, so many ways to make it different or stand out.

How about a ground beef fatty with a tight bacon weave or maybe a Philly cheese steak fatty. 

chris

Well yesterday was the trial run for what we decided on.  It was a NY Strip roast in the Pit Barrel Cooker.  We bought the whole thing and cut it into two roughly equal sized hunks.  We ate one after a 20 minute rest and the other after 2 hours resting in foil towel and cooler.  The taste and tenderness was great for both and the foil towel coolered one, stayed warm without overcooking.  We pulled it 5 degrees earlier and let it rest until the temperature stopped climbing and then wrapped it up which I think helped.  If we can nail the timing we won't wrap at all because the bark on the un coolered one was much better.  We toyed around with the idea of adding a compound butter or sauce but the beef flavor seemed to be too masked.  Still undecided on that.  Thanks for all of your ideas.  We ended up picking the strip roast because we both have had success cooking them before and they were on sale this week haha

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky